1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Sep 2015 Q3 - why is depreciation included in NPV calculation when it is not a cashflow

Discussion in 'CT2' started by tess, Sep 10, 2018.

1. tess

tess Member

I am stumped on why Sep 2015 Q3 (UK) has the correct solution for the NPV calculation as including the depreciation amount, when depreciation is not a cashflow.

Elsewhere in the forums we have also seen that you ignore depreciation: https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/inde...m-april-2010-question-number-20-part-i.11807/

If we change the MCQ slightly so that the machine does not increase reported profit and is effectively a useless piece of junk (just by way of argument), including depreciation will mean that NPV = -40 + 8v + 8v^2 + ... + 8v^5, or almost 0 at discount rates close to 0%. Units are in $'000

However shouldn't the NPV for the completely useless project be NPV = -40 if it doesn't produce any cashflow?

Thanks, hope somebody can elaborate as I'm puzzled!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

You're correct - we don't want to deduct depreciation in an NPV calc, ie we base it on discounted cashflows, not discounted profits.

In this Sept 2015, Q3, the question gives us the reported profits of $11k each year. So, we need to add back the $8k of depreciation each year, to get to the cashflows that we want for the NPV calc.

Hope this helps!
    Lynn

3. tess

tess Member

Thanks Lynn! That's a pretty subtle distinction. Will watch out for that in future!