Satisfaction with IFoA volunteering opportunities

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by ProudActuary, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

You can't get volunteers by disrespecting them. IFoA is patronising its own members with how it conducts itself. More than that it has discriminated against its British members, without even an apology. Without some major repairs, many won't offer their time for free.

3. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I disagree, in fact, I've been so inspired by some of the volunteers' comments I'm considering volunteering.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Do as I say not as I do, huh? Why should we volunteer for an organisation who has discriminated against us all our careers?

5. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

You're encouraging people to take legal action against the IFoA. Have you ever taken legal action against them? If so, was your claim successful?

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Get off the script and answer my question.

7. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

What script you talking about? Seems to be that I answer your questions but you don't answer mine!

You brought up "do as I say not as I do" so I ask again, have you ever taken legal action against the IFoA? If so what was the outcome?

8. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Indeed, I wonder if Whistleblower follows the "do as I say not as I do" approach you referenced.

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Proud I asked you what % qualify in 3 years. Not how many people in your office qualified within 6 years.

10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

From the sample of 5, 40% qualified in 3 years. I don't have access to more information. My point was that it's possible to qualify within 3 to 6 years, a point you and null were disputing!

Now - answer my question about whether you've taken legal action against the IFoA? And the outcome?

If you haven't - that's fine, just odd you are encouraging others to.If you have and were successful then congrats - what was your claim? If you raised a claim and were unsuccessful then that's unlucky, be interesting to hear the grounds of your claim.

You brought the "do as I say not as I do" thing up so please answer!

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

No we weren't. What information would you need, ProudActuary...

12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Well - we'd need to know: number of new student members each year, drop outs and track their success over various time periods (eg 3, 5, 10 years).

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

I know how many join each year. Do you?

14. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why can't we find dropout rates quoted anywhere, proud, is it because they're not proud, proud?

15. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Would a professional body typically state drop out rates? Time to qualify not a much more common benchmark?

Still can't see any answer to that question over your legal action, if any, against the IFoA. Very puzzling, you appear to be criticising an organisation for lack of disclosure whilst doing the very same thing yourself. Ironic.

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

This thread is about volunteering. I'm surprised you say you haven't volunteered yet, proud?

17. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Correction - about the satisfaction derived from volunteering. I just provided a link to opportunities that may be of interest.

Anyway, the deafening silence and refusal from you to answer perfectly legitimate questions I've raised really does speak volumes. Perhaps it would be best for you to caveat that you haven't taken costly legal action against the IFoA when you encourage others to do so! Just so people know the extent of your expertise and experience.

18. Marzipan

Marzipan Member

Please could the statistic of an 82% women drop out stop being used, without at least giving the male equivalent. This statistic was removed from its original source of publication because it was misleading. In any case, it is not unusual to see a high female drop out rate, for actuarial exams or any other professional exams that are dominated by men. I'm not justifying it, but a plausible explanation is how hard it is for women to return to work after having a family. Perhaps the Institute could do more, but it is also down to employers and our society in general. What should also be considered is what the trend is. What is the drop out rate now compared to 10 years ago? There is a bigger picture here, and one that we can all help to improve in a positive way.

ProudActuary likes this.
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

The figure was quoted as a problem to be solved, so we can deduce it compares unfavourably to the male equivalent.

20. Null

Null Member

The IFoA told me that the drop out rate was only 10pc. There is a bigger picture. The IFoA have lied and they’ve been lying for years, decades...

21. Null

Null Member

This person knows definitely more than he should... I’m sure he knows the grounds of all the claims already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.