1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Satisfaction with IFoA volunteering opportunities

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by ProudActuary, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Given there's been a lot of negative posts recently, thought it would be worthwhile flagging results of a volunteer survey.

https://www.theactuary.com/news/2019/06/satisfaction-survey-success/

Over 80% of respondent volunteers were satisfied or very satisfied. If unhappy with the profession then why not get involved in a consultative forum or even stand for council elections once qualified? There are more ways to effect change in an organisation that to enter litigation.

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Please explain how the discriminatory policies found by the Court, which are identified as ongoing, would be dissolved by participation in those things you mention.

whistleblower21 likes this.
  3. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Why don't you email the IFoA to ask?

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

I thought you were emailing them, that's another one for your list.

5. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Already sent that email off - you seem shy to email them? If you look at that article there's a link to volunteering opportunities. Seems to be a place for members on a working party for International/European recognition. Why don't you/whistleblower/null apply and raise your concerns over mutual recognition there?

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Proud, the Judgment notes IFoA Executive were notified of the discriminatory policies for years. Nothing changed.

7. Null, Almost there, two other ladies and I have set up the "Alternative Student Consultative Committee" of which we are all committed members. We have done more to bring about change than any committee in the IFOA. Perhaps people should join us.

8. C_F

C_F Member

Whistleblower - Have you created several profiles on this forum to push your agenda? Infinity , null , whistleblower etc.. seem to all blend together..

Camdown likes this.
  9. Null

Null Member

I doubt that most people are happy with the IFOA. 50% of people drop out. 82% of women drop out over 7 years. There is nothing positive to say. The IFoA have just been done for race discrimination and continue to discriminate by age. Until this stops, I’m not going to stop either. I would suggest Mr Cribb makes a pathetic statement at least and ideally stands down.

almost_there likes this.
  10. Null

Null Member

No I’m null and I am not whistleblower. What about sweetactuarial princess?

I have evidence that Acted executive staff members are posting on here without disclosing they are staff.

It’s funny how this is your first post

11. Null

Null Member

What would be the point? The ifoa have been knowing discriminating for years and continue to do so.

almost_there likes this.
  12. almost_there

almost_there Member

There's no point. For starters, many of the most thorny complaints, such as those that have ended up in Court, are conveniently not included. Look at the SCF minutes back to 2014. Just as one little example, the CA3 complaints. Repeatedly students told them people considered this exam a lottery, didn't understand what to do to pass or fail. They asked for a list of jargon. They asked for an example of pass and fail piece of communication. IFoA promised to act and provide. Nothing was done. I ask who would bother volunteering when promises are broken in this way, it's a waste of time. Just a talking shop. Similar observations can be made of the complaints process or people's attempts to communicate with IFoA councillors. At best you can expect them to promise to look into it and get back to you, or that they plan to 'review' it later this year is another classic. Nothing gets done.

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

These cool summer evenings are nice for doing a spot of fishing.

14. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Lol - happy fishing almost_there. What bait do you find works best?

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

Where's that email you sent them, got any info yet?

16. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Lol

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's no wonder really the dropout rates given IFoA misinformed them for years they could qualify on average in 3-6 years.

18. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

(emphasis added)
    It's factually true that people can and do qualify in this timescale

19. almost_there

almost_there Member

Give us the % who qualify in 3 years.

20. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

In a sample size of 5 work colleagues, including myself, 100% qualified within 6 years.

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.