1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

SAs Help!!

Discussion in 'SA3' started by LastHurdles, Jul 15, 2017.

1. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

So I've now sat SA3 exam four times with no success. First attempt was an FB and the other three attempts I have been one or two marks from that required to pass.

My strategy in the past has been to know the CMP inside out, do as many past papers as possible (usually 4-5 years worth), read up on a few topical issues (cyber, big data unfortunately all after the exams in those topics have been set)and last session I also had a mock exam marked where the feedback was I should pass but should try to make sure I nail all the book work stuff.

Now I do think I am capable of passing but just need a few pointers in the right direction

Work have agreed to continue supporting me albeit at a much lower rate than the full allowance in terms of study days. Combining with annual leave I'm hoping to get through in the next session.

So my question... Has anyone find it useful to get on a set of tutorials after having a few times. I've already been to them a few years back but thought maybe doing something different will help this time? Any other suggestions?

Thanks all!

2. Yes why not have a go at the tutorials again. I bet you understand things differently now than you did back then, so you'd get something new from them.

How focussed is your further reading? When topics have come up in the past they tend to be on subjects that are very topical. PPOs spring to mind because they're pretty new to the Core Reading and haven't been examined. Brexit is surely a big thing. You could focus your reading on just the two most recent GIROs say, or the Working Party papers. It won't take long to pull a few key messages from the online powerpoint presentations.

Have you tried the other mock exams? Some of the questions are really challenging, and they give you practice at topics that haven't come up in the real exam recently.

Good luck!

3. bystander

bystander Member

Counselling is also an option but I'd make sure you have the follow up as well- read about the different options on the web. They've changed since I had it. But you are definitely right to seek a fresh experience and as you've had a break from tutorials, that's as good as new. Huge benefit face to face. good luck.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why won't the profession give people another option instead of this exam? You know, like a year's supervised work experience like they allow those seeking Fellowship via MRA...

5. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Yes SA exam or SA0. However the profession gives those who seek MRA route to Fellowship two options: SA0 or a year's supervised work experience. They don't have to pass SA exam. Hardly no one does SA0 (obviously).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  7. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

Thanks for the responses all. I think I will get myself into some tutorials.

I done the exam counselling for my second attempt but tbh I didn't find it useful. It appeared as though the person who wrote the report essentially re-wrote the examiner's report instead of trying to add value to how I could past the exam or what I was doing wrong.

Your list of topical issues is also useful. Does anyone have anymore other than PPOs, brexit, cyber, big data? I only got one of the mocks marked but did do the other mock myself and self marked it and I agree the questions are really thought provoking!

Finally not really trying to find ways to escape doing the exam! Just what I can do differently to help pass the exam. In any case any changes to the process are likely to take a lot longer to implement than myself working hard to pass this exam! - well hopefully anyway!

8. bystander

bystander Member

Maybe even broad catastrophe risks, sadly terrorism and overseas epidemics sometimes hit the news. Cyber risk is just one example of a potential catastrophe if everyone loses all their data and processing capability.

9. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Other topical issues - the long-awaited IFRS 17 has just been published (plus it has its own Working Party, and we're well overdue an accounts question), Part VII transfers (given that we'll have loads more going through before Brexit), S2 post-implementation (ie ensuring consistency and enforcing the regulation) climate change, op risk, driverless cars ... ... ...

10. tiger

tiger Ton up Member

Must be very frustrating...
    I normally sat mocks more than a month before the exam, so there was time for correction & to incorporate the feedback.
    If you're at pass level for the mock, are you possibly peaking too soon with your preparation? Just a thought.
    Best of luck.

11. NikitaMBM

NikitaMBM Member

Agree on your comment about the exam counselling - Did not really add any value tbh