1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Sa7 like sa5?

Discussion in 'SA5' started by dimitris13, Jul 15, 2018.

1. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

Hi there,
    I was wondering three things.
    1st. Will sa7 be closer to sa5 or sa6?
    2nd. To sit for sa7 is it "required" to know st5 or st6?
    3rd. For someone who has passed st6 and st9 is sa5 (or in later sa7) possible?

Thanks

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, We will need to see how SA7 turns out in practice after a few exam sessions. But looking at the course, I can give my opinion (but it is only an opinion!) The content of the course seems a lot closer to the material that was examined previously in SA6, and most of the past paper SA6 questions will still be relevant as practice papers for the new exam I think. There are many parts of SA5 that have NOT made it into the new course. So very few of the SA5 papers will be relevant.
    To your second question, ST5 (or SP5 as it will be called) is essential, either to have passed or to be sitting at the same time. This was the case for SA6 and will be the case for SA7. ST6 has never been particularly important nor has it been required for SA6, and it will not be required for SA7 either.
    You final question is a difficult one to answer as it will be a personal decision. If you have ST6 and ST9, then you dont have ST5. That is the first problem, and to be honest the main problem. You may have to buy ST5 core reading, download a good number of past papers and do those alongside SA5 or SA7. For SA5, I would say that it is perfectly possible to sit the exam based on the course material, and a good understanding of finance in general (including the material in ST5). But there is only one sitting of SA5 left. Turning to SA7, the issue is whether you will be happy with the material in SA7. This will be a bit easier for someone who works in investment consulting, manager selection, ALM modelling and LDI advice, or fund management directly. But it will be possible to pass it without being in those areas (as has always been the case with SA6). I hope this helps.