1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

SA5 vs SA6?

Discussion in 'SA5' started by ActCC, Oct 21, 2017.

1. ActCC

ActCC Member

Hi,

I am coming from a banking background and have previously sat ST6 and ST9 as my ST subjects.

Is SA5 or SA6 a better choice for me given that I have not studied ST5 before? I had a quick look at the the syllabus and past paper for both subjects. Both of them covered some similar topics as in ST6 / ST9 / related to my work, but it is still difficult to pick between the two.

I was inclined to pick SA5 since there are flashcards / on-line tutorials etc for the subject, and I know someone who sat it and really enjoyed the subject, however, the pass rates were getting lower and lower in the last few sittings (the lowest of all SA subjects!) while the SA6 pass rates have improved dramatically in the same period. Since this is my last subject and there is a change in WBS coming in September next year, I am really hoping to pass the exam at the first go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, This is a really tough one. All that you say is true: that the pass rates for SA5 have indeed hit a low at the moment, while the pass rates for SA6 have recovered. Also the fact that SA5 and SA6 will merge at the end of 2018, and a new course SA7 will emerge, which will only have some smaller parts of SA5 included. If you pass first time that will not be an issue.
    If you come from a banking background, SA5 does seem more suited in terms of content. SA6 is meant to be designed for students in investment consulting, manager selection, ALM modelling, structured products and trustee advice. This does not sound like the area you are working in, but you may have good knowledge of the general area anyway (?) SA6 exams tend to wander off core reading to a greater extent, so it is more important to know the area, whereas SA5 can stick more closely to the core reading and the areas covered by core reading. I am not sure that flashcards should influence your decision, as there is often little core reading memorisation required for either subject.
    It really is up to you. I cannot guarantee that the SA5 pass rates will improve. Sorry if this is not the clear answer you may have been hoping for, but maybe there will be other students out there with a view on the subject?

3. Sundance1986

Sundance1986 Member

Hi, I sat SA5 in Sept, I thought it was a little harder than the April sitting but I would be interested to hear other peoples views on the Sept sitting?

I have not studied for SA6 so unfortunately can not give any view on that.