SA5 Topical issues

Discussion in 'SA5' started by Colin McKee, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It is important that Subject SA5 students take the opportunity to keep abreast of current developments in finance. A few past exam questions and Examiners Reports have mentioned issues that are not covered explicitly by the Course Notes alone. The further reading list is there to help prepare for such questions.

Many exam papers expect you to be up to date with affairs in the Eurozone, currency markets, debt markets, currency markets and regulatory markets. If you find good articles that you would like to share we would love to hear from you.

The purpose of this thread is for Subject SA5 students to discuss topical issues on Finance. Feel free to add your own comments about topical issues, including items from the further reading list for Subject SA5.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Andy87

Andy87 Member

Dear students and tutors

I want to animate this thread and discuss hot topics in finance, which might appear in the SA5 paper in April 2014. I am overseas student and hence have limited knowledge of UK and EU issues.

Please comment, all suggestions are warmly welcome.

Hope to hear from all of you soon,
    Andrew

3. Bidza

Bidza Member

Topical issues

Hi Colin

Is it possible to get a list of the topical issues in the past 18 months? I am new to this subject and I am only familiar with current events:eek:

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Bidza, I am also writing SA5 and this is currently what I am doing as part of research;-

1) Keep a close eye on tv, CNN, BBC etc some of the current events come with a history of how things evolved.

2) Like the FT on facebook, their page shows updates to as far as 2009 I think, my feeling is that the hottest issues in the past 18 months should be in this repository of facebook posts, since the latest hottest news are there.

I will post my 'hottest' list of events over the past 18 months soon and maybe you can share yours, and I think you are in South Africa like me so we may really need this!

5. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, It would be great to get people contributing their thoughts on what might make a hot topic. the more minds that get involved the better. SA5 usually stays away from issues that impact investment consulting (which is more SA6), but can tackle almost anything else. A quick starter list:
    the tumbling oil price and its effect on an economy, leading to government and central bank compensating action
    volatile currencies (rouble?) and the effect on economies and markets
    central clearing and its effect on credit risk/trading / capital requirement
    election uncertainty and volatility and the effect on planned investment by companies and the effect on markets
    Euro QE (again) - seems to have been a hot topic for years now.
    Euro default and possible exit seems to be a bit too recent to make it into exams this year
    deflation and its effect on economies and government response.

Any others?? ...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  6. wanxie0224

wanxie0224 Member

Hi Colin,

Thank you for suggesting the hot topics.

What about crowdfunding and AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank)?

Would crowdfunding form a shadow bank type question? Or anything else?

AIIB - this seems quite topical but not sure how it can be examined...

7. BhatiaI

BhatiaI Member

Hi Colin,

I read that you mentioned about reading the following papers:
    In recent Risk & Investment conferences there have been papers presented on:
    Infrastructure risks and returns (C Lewin) (conference 2015)
    What is happening to interest rates (Andrew Smith) (conference 2015)
    The risk free rate: politics, economics and investment (Evans, Penn) (conference 2014)
    Liquidity in assets (conference 2013)
    Modelling sovereign default (conference 2013)
    Basel 3 and Solvency 2 (conference 2012)
    Operational risk (conference 2012)
    Liquidity and investment strategy (conference 2011 and 2013)
    characteristics of different risks (2010

Where can we access these articles from?

Thanks and kind regards
    Ishita