1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

SA3 Pass Rate Sept

Discussion in 'SA3' started by DeliAli, Dec 13, 2018.

1. DeliAli

DeliAli Member

Wow the pass list was only 72 out of 274 which equates to just 26.3%. This is very disappointing :(

2. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

Wow that's harsh! How is this even possible though? Just doesn't feel right if you ask me

3. Uroš

Uroš Member

I am one of the 73.7 %, quite frustrating. I am not sure how they made the cut. However, it seems that you have to score 55 if you want to pass an exam. I have not noticed lower pass scores in any of the ST or SA exams in this exam cohort. It might hold true for earlier chorts but I am not sure.

4. Fengfeng

Fengfeng Member

Do you mean September 2018?

5. DeliAli

DeliAli Member

Yes, apologises I mean the recent sitting. There seem to be serious issues with the marking quality for SA3 too. It seems that the quality of marking differs markedly from marker 1 to marker 2 so I'd be highly concerned about the quality of the processes involved or ability of certain markers in SA3 to perform their duties. It would be fine if the same two markers are used for all but I'd be concerned that you might be unlucky to get a maker who performs their duties with less rigour than others.

How are the markers chosen for these exams? Are they just volunteers who are not able to perform their duties adequately? Also, I note the lower pass rate for many SA subjects this sitting. I wonder if this is to do with persuading individuals that the Associate level is of more value? Surely, they need to improve their marking processes in the future. It seems SA3 is the worst exam for discrepancies between markers so there's clearly something strange going on with the markers applying the same marking scheme to each script.

6. Fengfeng

Fengfeng Member

I did email the IFoA to ask for their comments about this large discrepancies. Although it says that they will reply in 2 working days on the automated reply, I have heard nothing so far. I am not sure if it is because of the festive season and they are short of staff or they simply ignored my email.

I am currently considering to email them again to remind them of this though not sure if I should do this in the new year when they should most be back in the office or this is just a waste of time (can I ask for any ideas or suggestions here?).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  7. Uroš

Uroš Member

I would wait until the 3rd of January and then email them again. Probably your email was seen, yet the answer needs input from more people who are most likely out of the office.

8. Fengfeng

Fengfeng Member

Thank you Uroš, :)

9. Fengfeng

Fengfeng Member

I got a response from one of the "Senior Assessment Executive" as follows:

I did some calculation to convince myself how "unprepared" this cohort are:
    upload_2018-12-31_15-12-20.png
    The data is from since April-2007, and got from
    http://www.actuarial-lookup.co.uk/exams/26

Above assumes a normal distribution (for simplicity). The Quantile calculated using the total error. So our preparation puts us at the lower (roughly) 1% (regardless include or exclude this sitting?)

Even with a better distribution, we are probably also at a quite low quantile :'(

I am really having a difficult time to rationalise their argument. :'(

10. Uroš

Uroš Member

To be honest, I am not sure how one can assess unpreparedness of the students based on the Sep 18 exam.
    By quickly skimming over the examineers' report, it seems that the majority of the students went the wrong route in question 4.
    It might be nice to have an opinion of someone who requested an exam review. After reading the report, I am very surprised how we managed to miss so many marks :). I suppose the markers write off many points that are in general ok but written down a bit vague.

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

Ah, once again students blamed for the pass rate.

12. Fengfeng

Fengfeng Member

the difference is significant either absolute, percentage or statistical. either we are an extremely 'bad' or small cohort or the examination process, including e.g. how the questions are set and how marks are given, have serious issues:(

given that we have 274 students, the sample is likely to be reasonably spread and roughly, on average, similar to past cohort. it is more likely due to other factors outside our students' control.:(

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

How many of those 274 students used acted tuition then...?