SA3 or SA7 exam choice

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by banvar0, May 2, 2019.

1. banvar0

banvar0 Member

I am currently trying to figure out whether to sit SA3 or SA7 as my final exam.

I was originally in pensions and investment industry and recently moved across to Reinsurance. I just did SP5 (investment) and I will need to do SP8 (GI Pricing) at some point.

I was going to pick SA3 as my final qualification exam, however, I haven't done SP7 (GI reserving) which I believe will put me in a massive disadvantage when sitting SA3 since students are expected to have SP7 knowledge. Alternatively, I could pick SA7 since it only requires SP5 as a pre-requisite but I do not work in investment industry anymore, so that would also be a disadvantage for me.

Which exam in your opinion I should pick and was anybody else in a similar situation? How much does work experience in investment help with SA7 exam? And would you say SP7 is essential for SA3?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Banvar

You're right, you definitely need to have studied SP7 to be able to do SA3 (although yes, there is the odd exam sitting when sometimes it won't have helped much, but it's not worth the risk IMO).

I don't know anything about SA7 (I'm a G.I. tutor), so I can't comment on it. But what I would say is that I worked in life assurance for many years, and despite moving into G.I, I still qualified by doing SA2 (or its equivalent all those years ago), as I felt that the my past years of experience with Life put me in a better position than minimal experience with G.I.

Hope that helps
    Ian