SA3 FAQ

Discussion in 'SA3' started by Katherine Young, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

This thread contains the Subject SA3 questions asked most frequently by students, with answers written by ActEd's tutors. Each year, we'll incorporate these questions and solutions into the study material.

This thread was last updated on 4 December 2019.

Question
    Which old era subject questions are relevant to Subject SA3?

Answer
    All of the old Subjects 303 /ST3/ ST7 / ST8 and 403 questions are relevant and worth attempting. The difference, however, is that you will not now have to sit a paper like Subject 403 Paper 1. This consisted of shorter questions, which is less reflective of the questions likely to be examined in Subject SA3. However, you may still find it useful if you are sitting the relevant Practice Module.

Subject 403 Paper 2 questions will be most relevant, but other questions are also worth attempting. In fact, many past exam questions effectively look like a number of shorter linked questions.

Question
    In Subjects SP7 and SP8 (and their predecessor subjects, ST7 and ST8), there are some mathematical topics (eg GLMs). Do I need to know about these for Subject SA3?

Answer
    Theoretically, all of the current Subject SP7 and SP8 topics are examinable in Subject SA3. A well-prepared student should be familiar with this material. However, as Subject SA3 is examining the topic of general insurance at a much higher level, we think it very unlikely that any question would require in-depth knowledge of these topics. The exams to date have borne this out.

Question
    How much do I need to know about SP7 and SP8 to be able to do SA3?

Answer
    For SA3, you will be expected to know the material from SP7 and SP8 very well, although you need not have passed those exams.

Question
    Chapter 17 doesn't give a review of the latest GIRO papers as the conference was after the date the material was written. What do you think are useful papers from the last GIRO?

Answer
    It's important for you to make your own mind up about what's important in GIRO papers. However, the bigger papers tend to be the most useful as many of the others are simply slides from a workshop (which don't make much sense unless you went to the workshop itself).

I suggest you read through them yourself and decide which you think would make good exam topics (indeed, you may just spot some that have been examined in recent years...!).

Question

I've noticed that the majority of recent exams hardly ever examine the Core Reading from SA3, instead asking questions on random/topical issues from the world of general insurance. I'm intending not to do any preparation at all and instead just turn up to the exam and see if 'my paper' comes up. Do you recommend this approach?

Answer

No! Certainly in some years the examiners seem to have been drawing on application of higher level understanding rather than in-depth knowledge of any particular part of the Core Reading. However, both the course material and tutorials can prepare you better for developing your approach to questions of this type, with suggested techniques for improving your higher level understanding and exam technique. You may also have noticed that some exams have indeed contained questions examining the Core Reading (from Subjects SP7, SP8 and SA3) more directly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.