SA3 exam marking

Discussion in 'SA3' started by sma09gc, Sep 5, 2019.

1. sma09gc

sma09gc Member

Hi,

I’m a little confused as to how SA3 is marked. I’m aware that I need to focus effort on exam technique, planning and thinking broadly, but however widely I spread my points, I almost never get anywhere near enough marks on the marking schedule. Obviously I have looked through a lot of marking schedules and seen that for some questions credit is given for ‘any other valid suggestion’, but does this mean that where that is not stated, I have to write exactly what is on the marking schedule? If so, I cannot see myself ever getting to the point of being able to do this.

Any advice greatly appreciated in advance of the exam, thanks!

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The schedules have only recently started showing 'bonus points' as I call them. They may have been there in earlier exams but were not explicitly shown in the examiners' report until recently.

The examiners may give you credit for something important if it's related in some way to something already on the schedule, and it certainly doesn't have to be written exactly in the same way. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the schedules already contain the vast majority of the major points they are looking for, so I would aim to find ways of generating these (or similar) rather than rely on getting credit for something that they didn't think of themselves.

It's definitely a skill that needs working on, stick at it!