1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

SA2 vs ST2

Discussion in 'SA2' started by dimitris13, May 2, 2019.

1. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

Hi,

i was wondering what are the main differences in terms of studying between ST2 and SA2.
    Is it more difficult to study for SA2 for september sitting ?
    People that sat sa2 during april - that was the 1st sitting under the new syllabus- how did you tackle with the fact that there was an "absence" of past papers ?
    The fact that there are no revision notes how can be replaced ?
    Is it a "better/wiser" practice to sit for sa2 just after sitting st2 (having the knowledge of st2 fresh) or sit for the 2nd st (in september ) and let sa2 for april sitting (with more time to study)?

Thanks
    D

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
  2. Maxit

Maxit Member

The old SA2 past exams are still to be used. The new SA2 material been updated with a lot of new core reading, but quite a lot of it is still the same as the old SA2.

Em Francis posted a quite detailed response on an earlier thread about the changes in the core reading, which I just noticed was also your post. Linking it here again:
    https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/sa2-2019.15101/

Additionally, if you look at the specimen paper for this latest SA2, the specimen solution mentions that the two questions included in the specimen paper are from old SA2 exams.
    Sample paper here (you'll need to scroll down a bit):
    https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/curriculum-2019/life-insurance

3. Maxit

Maxit Member

I have known students who sat ST2/SA2 in the same sitting and passed, and also students who sat ST2 before SA2 with another ST and passed. It really depends on what works for you.
    There is no one size fits all on this unfortunately.