1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Roce

Discussion in 'CT2' started by HARDIK, May 14, 2013.

1. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

IN calculating the ROCE do we include the retained earnings also in the denominator,.,....??????
    because the definition says share capital+reserves +long term debt.
    and normally reserves includes share premium account and the Revaluation reserve.
    So what about the retained earnings...?????????

2. Amit_Bansal

Amit_Bansal Member

Yeah we include retained earning also.
    Points to Remember:
    1. Reserves = Retained Earnings + Other Reserves
    2. Other Reserves = Share premium + Revaluation Reserve

3. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

retained

Hi, yes retained earnings is one of the most important (and usually biggest) part of shareholders reserves. Must be added to bottom line in almost anything that needs "equity capital" on the bottom line. (eg gearing, ROCE, asset utilisation, ..)

Jinnentonix likes this.
  4. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

thnkxx.....

5. sahildh

sahildh Member

shall we also deduct intangibles from the denominator from the share capital as done in previous ratios?

6. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I dont think so. I would stick to the core reading formula.

7. indexo

indexo Member

For the denominator, should we take free reserves at the start of the year or end of the year?

8. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'd tend to go 'end of the year'. Sometimes in the exam that's the only option, for example if the question gives a P&L for year X and the associated Statement of Financial Position as at end of year X!