1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Results April 2019

Discussion in 'SP2' started by nyaman, Jul 5, 2019.

1. nyaman

nyaman Very Active Member

I am disappointed with my mark this time around as I was very close to the pass mark missing with only 2 marks. I was devastated when I saw my results letter. The last time I wrote was in April 2017 and I missed the pass mark with 5 marks. This time around I made sure I knew my notes and did tons of papers as practice (revision notes as well as online classroom). I do not know what else to do this time. Maybe my exam technique is bad and am not giving sufficient detail in the exam to ensure a pass I don't know. I want to take the exam again in September and I want to ensure a definite pass. Will taking a mock exam with marking and using ASET help me in any way? I need some advice and encouragement.

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello - I am very sorry to hear about your disappointing result. It sounds like you worked very hard for this exam, but on the positive side (or at least, less negative) you were only a few marks short of where you needed to be.

It would be helpful to hear from other students' experiences, but FWIW a few thoughts from me:
    • Have you had feedback from other people who have marked exam papers or assignments for you? Did you get the X assignments marked? Yes, doing the Mock exam with marking sounds like a good idea as well. I would strongly encourage you to get other people to mark exam question attempts and give you feedback as, based on what you have written, there may be issues relating to the way in which you are answering questions that you are not aware of. For past papers, consider swapping your answers with those of another student at work and marking each others' with feedback (eg is the writing style too waffly, is there too much repetition or drilling down into the same basic idea, do the points lack clarity and precision? etc). This will also give you the opportunity to pick up good practices from others.
    • It is of course important to have thorough understanding of the technical content of the course, but developing good exam technique (particularly question reading skills, idea generation techniques and a succinct, efficient writing style) is equally vital. Aim to keep on top of the former but perhaps work more now on improving the latter?
    • You say that you 'knew your notes' - make sure that you are gaining depth of understanding rather than just learning, and that you are doing so in relation to the detail of the Core Reading (which is what the examiners will be testing) rather than summarised notes.
    • Question practice is, of course, massively important as part of your exam skills development. Bear in mind that the Revision Notes will generally contain only summarised answers. Use the Examiners' Reports and ASET to get a feel for the amount of detail that is needed in answers. ASET is also a very useful tool for helping you to develop exam techniques and question-answering skills, as it provides suggestions and hints as to how to tackle the questions, not just what the answers are. (Bear in mind that the existing ASET covers the papers from 2014 to 2017; a mini-ASET for April 2019 will be available in due course.)
    • As a tutor, I would of course also highly recommend attending tutorials! I appreciate that this may not be an option, depending on your location, but bear in mind that we do offer live online tutorials.
    I hope that there is something there to help encourage you forwards with your studies. Hopefully other (ideally successful!) students can endorse some of these ideas and will have some other suggestions.

All the very best for the next sitting.

Lindsay

3. nyaman

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement. I have not tried assignment marking and online tutorials might consider doing one of them. As for the notes they have core reading content but have extra material I added which I found useful while practicing past exam papers and linking chapters and additional information on generating ideas for the various topics in the course notes. Working with others exchanging solutions is a great idea but I might face challenges because others are not writing this particular subject.

4. Lindsay Smitherman

Thanks for the clarification. Your notes sound great! :)

Given your situation, I would definitely encourage you to take up marking of assignments/mocks.

Also perhaps see whether there is a qualified actuary at your company who would be happy to review one or two papers for you and provide some feedback on your exam writing techniques?

All the best & keep up the good work.

5. nyaman

Thank you. At our company there is no qualified actuary unfortunately but might ask others not at our company I know personally.

6. nyaman

I attempted again the SP2 exam in September 2020 and I finally passed. I am beyond excited. I really think what made a difference this time was the feedback I got from the marker of my mock exam. I managed to add depth in my answers and worked on the chapters that I had weak understanding. The use of ASET really improved my understanding of the depth required in answers that secure a pass. I hope next year more passes will result from what I have learnt this time around. Thanks again Lindsay, your advice really helped.

7. Lindsay Smitherman

Hey - I am very pleased for you & glad that you found the feedback from the marker and looking at ASET so useful. All the very best for your next exams: keep up the great work!