1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Repos

Discussion in 'SA6' started by Imidinho, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Imidinho

Imidinho Member

Hi

What do the following 2 sentences of core reading mean.

"market rates on specific repos reflect the relative scarcity in the repo and stock lending markets and are typically below the market rate on GC repos"

"where the repo rate on a particular stock is more than about 5 to 10 basis points below the GC rate the stock is said to be trading special"

Thanks in advance.

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

A GC repo list is a list of bonds that are all acceptable and interchangeable for a repo deal. They are generally liquid issues. If there is exceptional demand for repos in a specific bond, then it can be called "trading special". Repos for that bond will attract lower repo rates because the demand has made the bond "scarce".

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  3. Imidinho

Imidinho Member

Thanks.

To make sure that i understand it fully, does the seller of stock in a specific repo have to sell it at a lower price than would be the case under a general collateral repo?
    So the purchaser of the stock under a specific repo receives a higher return (i.e. repo rate) to compensate for the illiquidity of the gilts which he receives as collateral relative to a general collateral repo?

Does the term "market rates" in the core reading refer to the price of the gilt repo?

I am getting confused by the second sentence of the core reading: I would expect the repo rate on a specific repo to be higher than the repo rate on a general collateral repo, so why would the stock be tradin special when the repo rate on a particular stock is less than the repo rate on a general collateral repo?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  4. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

To make sure that i understand it fully, does the seller of stock in a specific repo have to sell it at a lower price than would be the case under a general collateral repo?
    So the purchaser of the stock under a specific repo receives a higher return (i.e. repo rate) to compensate for the illiquidity of the gilts which he receives as collateral relative to a general collateral repo?

Repo transactions are usually done on rates - the actual prices are not that important. If you sell a gilt at 90 and agree to buy it back at 91, you get a similar transaction as when you agree to see it at 93 and buy it back at 94 (if you see what I mean). It simply means that the prices arranged are such that the return to the person selling and repurchasing the gilt are lower than would be the case with a gilt that is not special.

Does the term "market rates" in the core reading refer to the price of the gilt repo?

I think it refers to the market repo return rather than the price.

I am getting confused by the second sentence of the core reading: I would expect the repo rate on a specific repo to be higher than the repo rate on a general collateral repo, so why would the stock be tradin special when the repo rate on a particular stock is less than the repo rate on a general collateral repo?

I can only go by what the core reading suggests as I have no specific experience here, but it says that those trading special offer a lower rate. It makes sense though. If I had a gilt that was in demand, and I wanted to use it to borrow cash for a couple of weeks, I would expect to be able to borrow at a slightly lower rate because of the high demand for that "special" gilt.