1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Refund of exemption fees following change in syllabus.

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Sweetactuarialprincess, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Member

82% of women leave the profession after 7 years... indirect sex discrimination for sure

2. Maxit

Maxit Member

I'm sorry but what's this got to do with sex discrimination? Maybe I'm missing something

3. Infinity

Infinity Member

There must be some discriminatory policy resulting in women having to quit after 7 years

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

I think doubling up exams makes the profession even more inaccessible to women.

5. Maxit

Maxit Member

Could you please link the source for this figure? Whats the equivalent statistic for men?

6. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

They may have decided not to pursuit the exams any more
    They may have moved jobs and new employer will not pay for them to be a member if not sitting exams any more.
    They may have moved jobs away from the actuarial field
    They may be leaving for family reason,
    They may be leaving because they believe there is no need to be a member of the institute to do their role
    Their employer may have decided that the employees do not need to be members of their institute do the jobs and want to save money.

They may be leaving for any number of different reasons.
    I don't live in the UK, but for instance where I do live, a large number of qualified people have left the institute due to new tax rules, that has led to employees having to pay the BIK tax, - they refuse to pay it, and have no requirement to be a member of the institute and so let their membership lapse.

For all the reason's I've listed above - how many of them are in your 82% figure - because if your throwing stats around - you need to have the back up available.

7. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Your making a very sexiest remark with that comment - are you saying that men and women are not equal?

Maxit likes this.
  8. almost_there

almost_there Member

Not at all. I guess you're the latest erm, on here, what's that word again?

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Clearly none of those reasons could possibly apply to men...

Maxit likes this.
  10. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

They could be but the poster made no remark about the number of men leaving the profession- why was this? why attack women?

For some reason yourself and the other poster have decided to mark remarks and attack women in the profession despite it having nothing to do with this thread -

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

There's no one attacking women whatsoever. We're standing up for them.

12. Maxit

Maxit Member

Agreed. This post has taken a very unnecessary sexist turn when both genders are equally impacted by the changes. There was no need to bring sex into the discussion at all, either to disadvantage or support

newkid likes this.
  13. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Then why having the changes made the profession more inaccessible to women and not men?

It's a sexist comment to say it and then you don't even explain your reasons for saying it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.