1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Rating Factors for Marine/Aviation

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Sean Cahill, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Sean Cahill

Sean Cahill Member

I've noticed a discrepancy in the rating factors mentioned for the line of business above.

On pg19 of chptr 3 the rating factors noted are:
    • Loss history
    • Type of craft/vessel....
    Whereas other ratings are noted on pg41 of chptr 3 including
    • Areas covered/destination
    • Number and experience of crew
    I appreciate that the core reading notes that there are no definitive rating factors but the question remains which list is to be learnt for the exam or what should I look out for in a question to give one rating factor over another?

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The examiners use the Core Reading when they're setting the exams, so you should focus on this in your answers (that's Chapter 3, page 19).

The ActEd text quite often includes other points that have scored marks in previous exams, and as I recall, that's the origin of the list in Chapter 3, page 41.

In short, use Core Reading by default, then add extra points because these could easily score marks too.

3. Sean Cahill

Sean Cahill Member

Katherine,

Thanks for the quick reply.