1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Query on CHAPTER 2

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Adithyan, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Adithyan

Adithyan Very Active Member

There's a question on page 23 of chapter 2 on utilitlity theory where they want us to say if A or B is more risk averse.

I didn't understand as to how B is considered more risk averse. because with change in wealth his absolute risk aversion reduces. Kindly help as to how is this to be understood.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. Adithyan

The question is as below, I don't get the solution though:

Suppose Investor A has a power utility function with r (gamma) = 1 , whilst Investor B has a power utility
    function with r (gamma) = 0.5 .
    (i) Which investor is more risk-averse (assuming that w > 0 )?
    (ii) Suppose that Investor B has an initial wealth of 100 and is offered the opportunity to buy
    Investment X for 100, which offers an equal chance of a payout of 110 or 92. Will the
    Investor B choose to buy Investment X?

(i) Which investor is more risk-averse?
    Investor B is more risk-averse because they have a lower risk aversion coefficient r . We can
    show this by deriving the absolute risk aversion and relative risk aversion measures for each
    investor.
    For Investor A:
    A(w) = R(w) = 0
    ie Investor A is risk-neutral.
    For Investor B:
    A(w) = 1/ 2w, R(w) = 1/2 > 0

Hence, Investor B is strictly risk-averse for all w > 0.

3. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello Adithyan

I wonder if an easier way of looking at it is to consider the utility function itself.

U(w) = (w^γ - 1) / γ

For investor A, with γ = 1, we have:

U(w) = w - 1

For investor B, with γ = 0.5, we have:

U(w) = 2 (√w - 1)

Can you visualise a plot of these two functions?

Pages 10 to 12 in Chapter 2 show some illustrations of the shapes of the U(w) graphs for investors that are risk-averse, risk-neutral and risk-seeking.

For a risk-averse investor, we are looking for diminishing marginal utility of wealth. For each additional $1 of wealth, the extra utility derived reduces. The graph of U(w) against w will be concave. The second derivative, U''(w) < 0.

For a risk-neutral investor, we are looking for constant marginal utility of wealth. For each additional $1 of wealth, the extra utility is the same. The graph of U(w) against w will be a straight line. The second derivative, U''(w) = 0.

For an investor to be risk-seeking, we are looking for increasing marginal utility of wealth. For each additional $1 of wealth, the extra utility derived increases. The graph of U(w) against w will be convex. The second derivative, U''(w) > 0.

Investor A's utility curve is a straight line. U(w) = w - 1. Hence, Investor A is risk-neutral. We can check that U'(w) = 1 and U''(w) = 0.

Investor B's utility curve is a graph of the square root of w, which has a concave shape. Hence, Investor B is risk-averse. We can check that U'(w) = w^(-0.5) and U''(w) = - 0.5w^(-1.5) <0 if w > 0.

I'm not convinced that we need to consider A(w) and R(w) to answer this question. However, I agree with your comment that Investor B exhibits decreasing absolute risk aversion. This means, as Investor B becomes wealthier, he or she becomes less risk averse. However, Investor B is still risk averse (just to a lesser degree as wealth increases) whereas Investor A is not risk averse at all!

I'll make a note that we look to revise this solution going forwards - it's not wrong - but could be simplified.

Does this help?
    Anna

Adithyan likes this.
  4. Adithyan

Thanks a ton for your response. It is extremely helpful indeed!