Q 5.11 in Q.A bank Part 5

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Leena, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Leena

Leena Member

Hi,

I have been beating my head over this question....just can't understand how the nj's have been calculated. Would really appreciate if somebody could explain the logic behind starting off with 6 exposures (nj's).
    And to anyone who's taken this exam earlier...are the questions in the exam actually as difficult as the ones in Q&A bank?

2. Erik

Erik Member

I find your last question a bit confusing? Certainly you have looked at past exam questions, right? The questions are quite different from the ones in the Q&A Bank. The latter tests your bookwork and application, but exam questions are much more challenging. Exam questions are often vague. The biggest difference is that in exam questions you often don't know what to do, as apposed to Q&A questions which is more straightforward. Q&A Bank will help you with concepts, but at some stage you will have to start looking at old exam papers.

Good luck.
    Erik.

3. Leena

Leena Member

Erik,

I havent got to the past years papers yet...so maybe I should have kept that last question to myself..at least till the time I had had a look at the past papers.
    By the way, have you been able to understand the solution to that question (5.11 in Q&A bank)?

4. Erik

Erik Member

Dear Leena,

I apologize for my last post. In retrospect it seems a bit harsh. (I am kind of frustrated with my own studies (CT8 in April)). I can't really help you with your question right now. If you get no reply from anyone else, or if you are in a hurry, email your question to CT4*bpp.com. I send all my queries to acted tutor (for CT8 and 4) David Hopkins, he is very helpful. You can email him directly at davidhopkins*bpp.com.

Just relax, there still enough time for past exam questions.

Erik

5. this one got me as well

first of all we are looking at
    1. duration since 65th birthday
    2. the period (1.1.1998,31.12.2003)

if you are say 65.5 at the start of the observation, you wont contribute until duration of 0.5 years kicks in i.e. age 65.5 (cause you cant count the time from 65 to 65.5 because this period was not under observation) this is the case for member 2.

thats why we start with 6 lives and not 8.

i hope this clears it up a bit?