Presentation questions

Discussion in 'CA3' started by markacti, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markacti

markacti Member

Hi all,

Some quick questions on the presentation and I would be grateful of any thoughts:
    1. Stand or sit? or does it really matter once head and shoulders are visible?
    2. Graphs pasted as picture or something else?
    3. In the 4 hour window to do presentation I am assuming that you can continue to practice during this time, just need to upload in the window?
    4. Are the slides marked as they appear alongside the video or separately? i.e. should the text be large enough to read in the small window?
    Thanks

aditya likes this.
  2. bystander

bystander Member

1. It doesn't matter whether you stand or sit. But standing often helps you to project your voice better. If you sit, sit straight rather than slouch. You want to look professional. Practise both ways and see which you find more comfortable.
    2. Pasting may be better but whichever way you do it remember labels, legends and titles.
    3. I'd hope you wouldn't want more practise by this stage but yes you can do more. Just don't run out of time.
    4. I think they can be viewed separately as well as alongside, so I don't think the typeface needs to be massive. Choose something easy on the eye.

aditya likes this.
  3. tiger

tiger Ton up Member

1. I would recommend standing. They want to see body language & hand gestures.
    2. depends on your base template I think (can do funny things to the colours & fonts?). I've used paste as a picture so I don't have to review the chart twice
    3. I used the tool to do plenty of dry runs & watched the recording until I was happy, plus a few more for memory. I think though overdoing practicing could remove some of the energy or "freshness" of the presentation.
    4. The acted notes give recommendations on font size, but in general I think should be legible. However this can depend on how far you're standing from your screen & screen size, so I would also have any key facts & figures you need to refer to on a notes card for during your presentation.
    Good luck!

aditya likes this.
  4. markacti

markacti Member

Thanks to you both! very good advice

5. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Great hints & tips in this thread :)

My understanding is that the examiners will generally only watch the video, and so will see the slides only in the reduced size that you see them, next to your webcam image, in the IFoA's app.). They will only resort to looking at the source PowerPoint file in exceptional circumstances (e.g. there is a problem with the recording). So, you should aim for the fonts to be sufficiently large to be legible in the format/size you see on the screen whilst you record. This will also help you, in reducing your reliance on note cards during the recording.

6. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Surely that's crazy to only look at the slides on that tiny screen? I agree the font size should not be too small, and diagrams/charts simple, but judging by some of the past papers you'd need to view the slides as full screen on a PC/laptop to appreciate them.

7. David Wilmot

Crazy or not... at least you now know what to do!!;)

8. purple-snail

purple-snail Member

So, what size are we talking...like is font 24 reasonable? And for EVERYTHING, including Axis numeric values, Axis Titles and Legend titles on Graphs? It seems to get abit cluttered:(
    I like specifics, and am doing the exam very soon, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. aditya

aditya Member

Hi All,
    Can you help me with a couple more questions:
    1. Can we use the power point themes to add color to the slides?
    2. Can we use externally downloaded images or clipart images for presentation?
    Thanks!

10. David Wilmot

1. Yes (as these are part of the base PowerPoint software), but don't spend ages choosing one!
    2. No (because you aren't allowed to use internet resources during the exam).

11. David Wilmot

I think that the attached example slide is clearly readable (including the labels on the axes). In this example, the axes are 14 point and the bullets are 18 point. I don't think it is too cluttered. Do you agree?

Attached Files:

12. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hi David
    Can I check something with you
    I prepare my graphs and tables in excel before transporting them onto the PP slide
    If I follow this approach do you know what font size I need to maintain?
    Cheers

13. David Wilmot

When you transfer into the slide you will, no doubt, scale the resulting graph to it fits nicely. After having done that you can adjust the font size from within PowerPoint. Earlier in this thread I refer to font sizes to maintain under such an approach.

Basically, use your common sense to ensure that all the text on a slide (including labels on graphs) can be read easily on the screen. Bear in mind that the slide will be scaled so as to only take up half of the width of the screen - when displayed alongside your webcam image in the online exam.

14. suyun213

suyun213 Member

Hi David,

Can we use pictures from the internet in the PPT. I found the exams require no help from the internet but the examiners report use some nice pictures.

15. Pede

Pede Member

16. Esselte

Esselte Member

Hey guys,

On the stand-up/sit down debate.

When standing, does it look awkward when you attempt to change slide during the presentation?

Any thoughts on this, any tricks!

17. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It does a little, but our understanding is that it is still acceptable. The software doesn't allow remote 'clickers' so there's little choice!

Esselte likes this.
  18. almost_there

almost_there Member

Must wonder if they do! I was sat down presenting to my webcam and did make hand gestures, not in an over the top way at all. One of them said:
    "...some appropriate gestures but moving around became distracting."
    the other said:
    "Voice is fine but rocking motion is off putting."

I do think this shows a problem with being judged on how you speak into a webcam, where gestures can appear exaggerated, depending on how your camera is set up! It's a disgrace that we lose marks on rubbish like this - we're not professional video makers and when I did the test presentation the IFoA didn't say move your camera back or anything!!!!

Also I had to move towards the laptop in order to move the slide along etc. what on earth do these people want from us on CA3 DOES ANYONE KNOW? What does any of this rubbish have to do with actuary?

19. bystander

bystander Member

these comments alone won't mean you failed. Remember the pass mark isn't 100% - it's less than 70%. When you do the test, isn't that just to ensure they can play it? There's no way they will watch every test. Take heart in the positive message that your voice was fine, so a good pace and volume. And they didn't say your gestures were too bold so you did look natural. You don't know when the rocking occurred, it could be that you naturally sway a bit in presenting. I don't know. Perhaps you moved to change slides mid sentence and that's why the comment. So maybe finish your sentence then change slide. Perhaps record a few for yourself play them back and see if you notice anything. And remember, soon presentations won't be in ca3 so consider waiting to resit instead.

20. almost_there

almost_there Member

What a load of rubbish: every lost mark pushes people towards a fail! It seems you want us to disregard the poor quality going on in terms of how people are assessed. You are of course very quiet on the threads where student after student reveal evidence their two markers were way out from each other.

21. bystander

bystander Member

They are quoting facts. What do you want me to say in specific quoted numbers. I haven't seen the scripts. I'm trying to give help on how to move from pass to fail. I can't explain people's judgements. I don't sit in their heads. Yes you want to avoid losing marks I've given you suggestions on things to try. I'm not out to say who is wrong or right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.