PPD recording

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by almost_there, Oct 2, 2017.

1. almost_there

almost_there Member

My understanding is that from October 2018, if you pass your last exam from then; to qualify you have to show at least 1 year PPD and can only get a maximum of 2 years work experience credit from previous work experience / WBS.

I understand if you pass your final exams before October 2018 then you don't have to show PPD at all. However showing 1 year PPD from October 2018 will mean you have to start recording it from now i.e. October 2017.

Does anyone know what needs to be recorded and how etc ? If you don't start recording something this month then you could risk your qualification date being pushed back until you show 1 year PPD from Oct 2018 ?

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, I am also interested in finding out how and where to record your PPD. Is the infrastructure in place? I have not seen any communication about it but perhaps missed something....

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

Hi Vicki, this page looks to have changed now so that PPD bites from February 2019 not October 2018 for pre-2004 joiners compared to those on WBS:
    https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyi...d-professional-development-ppd-september-2017

However to show 12 months PPD from Feb 2019 would mean having to record it from Feb 2018... whatever recording this means. If people don't record it from Feb 2018 hoping to clear the final exam in 2018 but fail in doing that then won't they have to retrospectively record PPD from Feb 2019 back to Feb 2018?

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

If you log into your account section on the IFoA website there is a my PPD section for recording it.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks a lot! I have some catching up to do :)

7. almost_there

almost_there Member

Page 4 of this publication is rather bizarre. Who might they be referring to when they say:
    1. If your job title states "actuarial" then do they consider this as 100%?
    (a) If yes, then what's the point of PPD? Don't they trust companies who hire actuaries to give people actuarial work?
    (b) If not, then are they saying some jobs are not actuarial enough - if so which ones? Where?

2. I'm struggling to square this with claims made by the IFoA that "data analysis" is actuarial, even if this is outside the 'traditional' actuarial work contexts of pensions, life insurance, general insurance etc. which overwhelmingly dominate their "Directory of Actuarial Employers" document.
    (a) In which case, someone working as a statistician could on that basis claim their work is actuarial.
    (b) Also, as insurers are increasingly not covering actuaries for personal indemnity:
    (i) if there are disguised actuaries out there with other job titles then surely there's a problem.
    (ii) if there are people who have an actuarial job that the IFoA deems is not actuarial enough then why aren't they doing something to help those people get insured?

3. To further add to the confusion: the new version of actuaries code seems to widen the definition of what an actuary job is, while for demonstrating work experience for obtaining a qualification the IFoA appear to be more fussy. How can it be that a job is actuarial enough to get done in the disciplinary but not actuarial enough to get you the qualification?

I do believe there is an identity crisis going on in this profession and these inconsistencies are unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
  8. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Has anybody started recording work experience yet?

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

If people don't start recording PPD now they could find their qualification delayed. Although if they pass their last exam before a particular date then PPD recording would have gone to waste.