1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Passing

Discussion in 'CT4' started by falmazi, Mar 6, 2006.

1. falmazi

falmazi Member

I'm about to sit 2 subjects in CT4 and CT6 in April. I failed my first exam CT6 last year. Could anyone tell me what the trick really is to passing these subjects ? Everyone tells me to practice loads and loads of questions under timed conditions and some people tell me you have to study 3 hours every night after work. I find it hard to study that much as my brains been drained from the PC. Its fair to say you have to do loads of questions, but there are just too many and they take ages to go through thoroughly. Applied maths is not as easy as stats and pure maths. The examiners I know from experience can easily put in a question which is not standard on a particular topic which is what ruined my first exam. Having practiced loads of questions for this sitting, I still fear the exam will almostly certainly turn out to be what is not expected. And hearing of the low pass rates from some exams last year, my theory is correct. If the exam was as standard as uni/A level exams I'm sure the pass rates would be a lot higher.

I would appreciate some advice from those that passed these subjects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Muppet

Muppet Member

Don't ignore the previous advice - practice is the key.

But appreciate that you're practising to help you understand and learn how to apply the principles in the course - not learn standard mechanical processes. If you understand what and why you're doing something then you should be able to have a go at a non-standard question asked in the exam.

But they're not al non-standard and you don't have to get 100% right to pass. It's as important that you score close to full marks on the easier questions.

Yes applied maths can be hard. But these exams are not easy - hence the qualification is valued. The more study you can put in the better your chances will be.

3. falmazi

falmazi Member

Yes, I agree. I've picked up on the fact that before I used to memorise methods as opposed to understanding how to apply what I know. I failed quite a few of these exams at uni, but successfully passed all my others. I'm too used to practicing without thinking about what I'm doing every time.