1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Pass rates for CS/CM papers

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by bot7337, Jun 27, 2019.

1. bot7337

bot7337 Member

What do you people reckon it's going to be ? Higher or lower compared to CT papers ?

2. patron

patron Member

I imagine they'll be reasonably close to pass rates from CTs, perhaps even benchmarked to an average of say the last two years of papers.

3. Furiously_treading_water

Furiously_treading_water Active Member

I think CM2 would struggle to be lower than CT8 for the past year (pass rates for past 2 exams were what, 40% compared to the historic average of about 60%?).

4. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Active Member

Well I reckon it can easily happen, if they don't adjust pass mark according to difficulty (timewise) of paper B of CM2.

5. Furiously_treading_water

True, though I'm still trying to decide whether for every rotten question in CM2B, one became comparatively easier in CM2A. Given the weighting of the papers overall, I'm not sure what the effect would be.

Calm likes this.
  6. Michal Piatra

Yes, I agree that deeper theoretical topics were not tested in the CM2A, however I am afraid this might be also regarded as disadvantage for some students.
    We shall see tomorrow, good luck!

7. Furiously_treading_water

And good luck to you!

8. C_F

C_F Member

I wouldn't count on the pass mark being adjusted for the difficulty of the paper..

There has been some unfairly difficult papers for CT8 over the past few sittings and they have done nothing to make up for this by lowering the pass mark..

9. Furiously_treading_water

CM2 pass rate 32%?! That stings. How did other exams go?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019
    Calm likes this.
  10. Michal Piatra

Shame they didn't show individual marks for paper A and B.

11. patron

patron Member

Here are my thoughts:

32% in CM2 is tough, but it was the same this time last year. It looks like there's been an effort to make this exam harder to pass over the last 18 months.

CM1 pass rate was 48%, which feels a bit low. In the past, CT5 pass rates had been around that level, but CT1 rates were higher. I was expecting CM1 pass rates to be a little higher, because the harder content in CT5 was diluted by the easier CT1 content, but this hasn't come through in results.

CS1 a little harder than expected, CS2 had a high pass rate of 57% though (especially when you consider how difficult some people found CT4).

CB1 and CB2 results are reasonably in line with recent experience.

What do others think?

Michal Piatra and Calm like this.
  12. almost_there

almost_there Member

There's something seriously wrong with a pass rate like that. IFoA will deny responsibility of course and blame students. It's about time people stopped accepting such.

13. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

Is it just me, or is it that for the online papers such as CM2B and CS2B, that once you go on the wrong step for part 1 then (at least in some cases) you have pretty much lost most of the marks in the subsequent parts? e.g. I had incorrectly applied a normal distribution on Q4 of CM2B, which probably helps explain why I got lower marks than I had expected.