1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Paid in Advance or Arrear

Discussion in 'CT1' started by paryas.bhatia, May 15, 2014.

1. paryas.bhatia

paryas.bhatia Member

A person bought a 3-year forward contract on 1st August 2013 to buy 100 nominal of stock that pays coupons of 4%p.a payable quarterly on 30th June, 30th September, 31st December and 31st March each year for ever. The stock also pays 50% nominal on 31st March 2015. The stock is priced such that it gives an effective yield of 5.5% p.a.

From the above what can we say about the coupons, i.e., if they are paid in advance or arrear? Please provide some explanation.

2. deepakraomore

deepakraomore Member

1) consider the 1st coupon on 30 June, i.e. advance then calculate the price and then accumulate the price for 1 month
    Or
    2) consider 1st coupon on 30 sep in advance. Calculate the price and disount it for 2 months.

I think considering advance coupon payments makes the calculation easy.

Regards

3. paryas.bhatia

paryas.bhatia Member

So that means in this question we have a choice?

4. playful27

playful27 Member

Yes, you have a choice and you will not be penalized.