Overall language marks

Discussion in 'CP3' started by Trevor, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Trevor

Trevor Ton up Member

Hi,

Will we be penalised on the language mark if our sentences sounds boring or monotonic although it doesn't have grammatical error?
    For example, I might write in the introduction of a report:
    "This report is intended to ..... This report follows up from the previous discussion.... This report explains...."
    As you can see, I started 3 sentences with "This report..." although each of them carries different information.

I am doing this in order to keep my sentence short. As someone whose first language isn't English, it is not easy to construct different sentence structures/vocabularies to make the message sound less boring.

Will we be penalised for having a boring sentence structure although grammatically perfect?

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hi Trevor

The main focus in CP3 in terms of language is that it is simple and will be understood by the audience, and this is where most of the marks are to be picked up. I think you might be penalised in a very minor way if your sentences lack variety, but I certainly wouldn't view this as a pass /fail issue in its own right.

Do though just keep an eye out for where you have adopted a similar sentence construction one sentence after another and see if you can easily tweak it. For example, just changing say the last of your sentences above to 'In this report I will explain ...' would help.

Helen