1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Offset of Non BLAGAB losses

Discussion in 'SA2' started by yogesh167, Feb 25, 2019.

1. yogesh167

yogesh167 Member

"Non-BLAGAB losses can be offset against other profits of the company in the same period in which they are incurred."

Does other profits here means BLAGAB profits as well?

2. Em Francis

Em Francis ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The CR doesn’t really go into this detail, so you won’t be expected to.

However, A non BLAGAB trade loss can be set against any shareholder profit of the period, with remaining set against shareholder profit of previous 12 months.

So I suppose this may include the shareholder share of BLAGAB profit (trade profit). However, this may be subject to rules, ie a company may be required to offset against non-BLAGAB profits first.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Em

Attached Files:

3. Devang Lohia

Devang Lohia Member

Hi,

Chapter 6 Core Reading, page 13 says

"You cannot use any Non-BLAGAB loss to reduce tax in the BLAGAB fund. Neither can you use BLAGAB XSE to offset BLAGAB trading profits."

Isn't this contradictory to the above statement?

And CR also mentions that, if there are Non-BLAGAB trading losses, these are carried forward to future tax years.

That means it can't be used to offset trading profits within the same tax year/period?

4. Em Francis

Hi
    Sorry but I cannot see where you are referring to.
    Chapter 6 is about policyholder tax so would not be referring to the above.

5. Devang Lohia

Devang Lohia Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

My chapter 6 is Life Insurance Company Taxation (1). These are 2017 SA2 notes. Don't know if the course material has changed.

But the lines that I have quoted in my post are exactly same from the CR. Do you think that there is any contradiction with this thread?

6. Devang Lohia

Devang Lohia Member

Just ordered for the latest CMP upgrade as well from Acted!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019
  7. Em Francis

Hi
    The posts have not contradicted the current Core Reading.
    I would recommend using the latest Core Reading as this is what you will be tested on.
    Thanks
    Em