Oct 2019_P1

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Epsilon7, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Epsilon7

Epsilon7 Keen member

Hello
    Referring to Oct 2019 P1 exam. For such types of question, where you have to use provided data and statistical distribution to simulate further data values, how do you proceed?

I am not confident with the simulation aspect. For instance in this paper why sum all data values per row and multiply by the maximum hours of sunshine? Am I missing something obvious here?

2. David Hopkins

David Hopkins Member

Hi
    The numbers they've given you are random numbers from the U(0,1) distribution. I think they've given you these so that all the candidates are using the same numbers. Otherwise, you could have just used the RAND( ) function to create some.
    The question says that the number of hours of sunshine each day is U(0,12), which is equivalent to 12*U(0,1). So you would need to multiply each of the random numbers given by 12 to simulate the sunshine for each day. You would then have to add up the values for the 100 days to get the total number of hours of sunshine for the season. They have simplified this calculation by adding them up first and then multiplying by 12, which will give the same answer.
    Make sense?
    David

3. Epsilon7

Epsilon7 Keen member

Thanks David ...makes sense now