1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

More flexible times for online exams?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by pyuille_1609, Apr 7, 2019.

?

Are you in favour of getting more reasonable examination times for international students?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Indifferent

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pyuille_1609

pyuille_1609 Member

Hi
    It has been on my mind for quite some time, and I don't know if anyone has requested this before, but for the online exams (like CA2 - now CP2 and CA3 - now CP3) - can there be some concession for international students? I have to re-take CP2 this April sitting... and it's at 4:00am! Simply because there is no consideration for international students and we have to sit it at the UK time (at 9:00am) I was only made aware of the 5:00am (10:00am UK time) sitting after already signing up for the earlier session.
    Is there anyway the examination board can make these times a little more reasonable?

Hoping to get some feedback.
    Regards,
    PYuille

2. KevinB

KevinB Member

Agree I sat CP3 at 5am. Don't understand why they can't offer more time slots. Possibly to prevent cheating as it would be very easy to email the paper to someone in the other side of the world. If they pushed the uk paper to the afternoon i feel it would suit more people west and east.

pyuille_1609 likes this.
  3. pyuille_1609

pyuille_1609 Member

I agree - please vote on the poll and encourage other students you know may be affected - perhaps we can get enough people to "have a voice" on the matter!

4. pyuille_1609

pyuille_1609 Member

In reply to this though, wouldn't it also be possible to share the exam within the 1 hour time slot they currently have between the two exam times (9:00am and 10:00am UK times)?
    Kinda defeats the purpose it would seem....

5. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

And if you did... that would be very foolish because it would be an act of misconduct, right? Even if someone had the balls to do so, the advantage given would be only one hour as compared to, say, 12+ hours. I believe the decision to have two timings also took into consideration other factors like last year's CP3 causing problems on their server so the timing was split in the first place to avoid a repeat of that.

Either way, some time zone would be screwed. This table only shows locations that actually have an exam centre to sit for the CM2A component of the paper:
    [​IMG]

It's not unreasonable to believe that IFoA has the statistics of how many people are sitting the paper at each location, and from there they calculated whether the morning or afternoon is considered the "better" one for the majority of candidates. Issuing two papers also leads to the problem of whether they are equally difficult among others (they gave Hong Kong a different CT5 paper from the others last sitting, but that was due to Typhoon Mangkhut changing the day that paper was sat by them).

6. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

This issue is dealt with in different exam systems by issuing different versions of the exam for different time zones.

pyuille_1609 likes this.
  7. Infinity

Infinity Member

This is another example of how the IFoA are just too big for their boots. Exams at 4am. How ridiculous. Perhaps just offer the exams in the Uk and leave other countries to their own devices. Take a pay cut Mr Cribb

Calm likes this.