1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Maths Required in CT 1 and Later Exams of CT Series

Discussion in 'CT1' started by mukul.mschauhan, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi, I am picking up maths after 14 years. I am brushing my maths up till Class 12th Level. Unsure what level of maths will I confront through out CT Series. If this is known, I can prepare it well in advance. Please share your inputs.

2. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Hi Mukul,

You will need at least 12th standard mathematics for actuarial science. For the basic knowledge, you should get your hands onto the FAC and Stats Pack provided by the institute. It contains nearly all basic concepts for the course. Mind me, it contains only BASIC concepts, not EXHAUSTIVE concepts. Then as you progress through the course, you will meet new and further concepts on the way.

You should try to get more from the statistics till the 12th, the mathematical part isn't the same, and would only use your time without adding much value.

CT series will introduce you to the world of insurance, annuities and probabilities.

Hope you fare well.

Regards,
    Shyam

3. Hey Shyam,

Many Thanks for your reply.

Appreciate it dear friend.

So, the way I look at it is I should get strong grip on Calculus and Statistics...and If I am able to do it till Graduation level, I believe it will help me in clearing my CT Series much faster. I am planning to ace two papers in every attempt.

4. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Hello Mukul,

Replying to what you said, I did not mean to say that it would help you clear the papers faster. The syllabus in CT series has many new concepts that are not taught in the graduation level.

Revising Statistics and Calculus will help you get hold of the long lost 'basic' concepts. You will still need to study good time for the CT series.

It's great that you plan on clearing two papers in every attempt. It is very much possible to do so, if sufficient time and effort is put into studying and understanding the concepts, along with practice.

The material provided by the Institute has all the needed concepts, but it also assumes that you have some basic understanding of the root level concepts. So the basics from graduation standard statistics (probability, mean, median, variance) and calculus (annuities) would preferably be the areas you would like to get familiar with.

In case you are sitting for papers from IAI, you will need to clear the ACET exam before you qualify for CT series papers, whole it is not so for papers from IFoA.

All the best!

Regards,
    Shyam

5. Thank you so much. Opting for online classroom recorded videos for CT1 by acted. Hope this will help in maintaining the rigor around it.

shdh likes this.
  6. Also is there any max limit for appearing in CT series if any person fails in the exams....as in max attempts?

7. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

We haven't heard of any such thing as maximum limits of attempts yet. I think that there is no such limit to the number of attempts one can give per paper. Usually a student clears a paper in one attempt if he/she is well prepared. Some take more attempts, as the case maybe. But if someone takes over 4 attempts in CT series, then they should reconsider on choosing actuarial as a profession.

Online classrooms are quite effective, as seen by many students. It does help a lot. You can go that way as well. Your choice in this regard is really a matter of your own discretion.

All the best!

Regards,
    Shyam

8. Appreciate for efforts for solving my queries out here. I do agree if a person needs multiple attempts then he/she must reconsider their decision of choosing actuarial as a profession. I will make sure that every attempt that I appear for, should be backed by hard work, proper preparation with fortitude and perseverance. Let the game begins.....

shdh likes this.