1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Masters in Actuarial Science

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by vdani, Dec 11, 2012.

1. vdani

vdani Member

Hi everyone,

I am considering doing a MSc in Applied Actuarial Science at University of Kent, or a MSc in Actuarial Management at the Heriot-Watt University, both offer an opportunity to get exemptions from CA1, CA3, and a choice of 3 ST's.
    I would like some advice about which of the two programmes is better.

In addition, the fees for Heriot-Watt are significantly higher than the fees for Kent but I heard that the living expenses in Canterbury are higher than the living expenses in Edinburgh. Is this true?

2. scott75

scott75 Member

I did the pgd at kent. The campus is good and the accommodation is first rate, being really new.
    The teaching was also good. I survived on about 500 a month after paying for fees.

I work with people who have done the herriot watt msc and several of them were disappointed with the exam/exemption process

Hope that helps

3. bluetail

bluetail Member

i want to add that the Heriott-Watt campus is quite far from the city centre. I went to sit my actuarial exams there last week and it takes at least an hour to get there from the city centre by bus. basically, its outside of Edinburgh.

4. ryan11

ryan11 Member

Does Kent still offer CA3. I had heard that CA3 has been discontinued.
    Overall how difficult is it to get exemption in the relevant subjects, say CA1, ST7 and ST8.

Any vetrens who went to Kent can you offer an insight, what it actually takes to get the exemptions

I have been trying to clear these higher exams but havent been successful so far, and I feel I would be better off to spend the year at Kent ( and pay the huge fees it takes), and it should be more worthy then spending time on "trying" to clear the higher exams.

5. Calum

Calum Member

More like forty minutes, though if you try at rush hour it can take longer.

The best way is to get a second hand bike and travel via the canal towpath. Takes longer but much more pleasant.