List four factors

Discussion in 'SA5' started by Edwin, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

What happens when you are asked to list four factors and you list 8 to try and increase your chances of hitting the marking schedule?

2. iActuary

iActuary Member

Or similarly when there are 4 marks for a question, how much should be written? Sometimes I do see a straight 4 bullet points, but sometimes I also see 6-8 points given...

Compared with other subjects, it's quite rare that "more than double the mark" points are given in "model answer".

3. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

There is normally no downside to putting more ideas down than the marks suggest. If any of them match something on the schedule you will get a mark (or half mark). So the more the merrier. But if the examiner asks for a specific number (like 4 factors), then there is a chance that the marker will only take the first four of your answers. So put your best 4 first on the list.

However it is rare in any exam, including SA5, that examiners will do this, and I cant think of many examples in recent history.

In terms of the number of ideas to give, this depends on the topic, and depends on the instruction words. It is something we look at in tutorials to get a feel for when you might have to give 4 and when 8 ideas. Clearly "list/comment/suggest/state" are words that suggest its going to 8 half marks.