1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

KOLMOGOROV,S FORWARD DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION

Discussion in 'CT4' started by SURESH SHARMA, Jun 12, 2017.

1. SURESH SHARMA

SURESH SHARMA Member

Dear Team ,

Please provide solution for derivation of kolmogorov,s forward differential equation

i fail to under stand how Pij(t+h) = pik (t) pkj (h) = pij(t) + h pik (t) µkj + o (h)

as per my understanding:

Pij(t+h) = pik (t) pkj (h) --------------------------(1)

now pkj (h) is a transition from k to j state in small time interval h is given by formulae in chapter 5 page 16 equation 5.7 which is as follows :

pij(h) = {h µij + o (h) if i not equal to j and is 1+ h µij + o (h) if i = j

now we can substitute it in equation 1
    Pij(t+h) = pik (t) pkj (h)

= pik (t) µkj + o (h)

please provide steps after this to derive the equation mentioned above.

regards
    suresh sharma

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  2. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

You seem to have everything right here, except for where you substitute in for pkj(h).

First, you've missed an h multiplying the summation in your final formula (I think this is just a typo).

Next, note that you have (correctly) said that the formula for pij(h) is different when i is not equal to j, and when i = j. In your substitution, you appear only to have used the form where i is not equal to j.

When i = j, you get an extra 1 in the formula for pij(h), and this gives you the extra pij(t) term that you're missing.

3. SURESH SHARMA

SURESH SHARMA Member

Thank you sir

4. SURESH SHARMA

SURESH SHARMA Member

Dear sir
    I am having problem in splitting of" I "not equal to j and "I "equal to j .

As I would like to move from state "i" to j in time t+h when I not equal to j . But when I equal to j . I am in state I during time t+h

It's confusion .please clarify the aplitting of time t+h for i=j and I not equal to j

Regards
    Suresh sharma

5. Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell Member

I don't really understand your question here. But I've explained the difference between i = j and i not equal to j in my answer to your other post.

6. SURESH SHARMA

SURESH SHARMA Member

yes sir now its cleared.

7. Sunil Chaudhary

Sunil Chaudhary Active Member

Mark,
    Thanks for the explanation and if I may request further explanation on term pij(t)*h*ujj which doesn’t appear in final equation.

Thanks,
    Sunil

8. Sunil Chaudhary

Sunil Chaudhary Active Member

Thanks. Got it another thread after hours of search :)
    Sunil