1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Joint Distributions CS1 04 Page 54

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Andrew Brown, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown Keen member

The solution of E[XY] is double integral of 4/5(3x^3y +x^2*y^2)dydx

Is the XY the product of the two marginal density functions fY and fX?

how is XY arrived at?

2. CapitalActuary

CapitalActuary Ton up Member

I don't have the reading I'm afraid, thought I'd try and point you in the right direction anyway.

XY will be the product of two random variables X and Y, and the density function for XY won't just be the product of the two densities (apart from in special cases).

How I'd derive E[XY] depends on what X and Y are, and whether they are independent or not. But you can use the law of total expectation to write E[XY] = E[Y * E[X|Y]]. This might help (it's a double integral over the density of Y, and the density of X given Y). If X and Y are independent then E[XY] = E[X] * E[Y].

Or if you have the joint density function f_XY(x, y) you can just integrate x*y*f_XY(x, y) (which is E[XY] by definition).

John Lee and Andrew Brown like this.
  3. Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown Keen member

thanks A lot for your reply. You provided clear answer . This is the trend I observed from the notes and from the flash cards issued but the ActEd . I just needed a solid basis for the answer. Once again . I am grateful for your answer.

CapitalActuary likes this.