Is CM2 going ahead in Sept 2020?

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Emily Wong, May 21, 2020.

1. Emily Wong

Emily Wong Member

Hi there,

I was supposed to take CM2 in April but since it was cancelled, I'm currently in a dilemma on whether I should take this in September instead (which is preferable since I had already prepared most of it) or whether I should take some other paper that has already gone online. I'm a little nervous that the IFoA may cancel CM2 again in September if they do not put it online and if we somehow cannot sit paper A physically at the time. Appreciate no one would know the answer to this but just wanted to get a gauge on what people are thinking/doing?

Thanks,
    Emily

2. James789

James789 Member

iFoA are going to let us know the plan for September at the end of the month apparently so that should help.

Emily Wong likes this.
  3. Emily Wong

Emily Wong Member

Ah that's great, I hope they do! Thanks for your reply :)
    Emily

4. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

I am really really hoping that it goes ahead, as its my last outstanding exam - along with the exams I was able to sit, and was also supposed to sit it in April too!

I honestly don't hold much hope for it moving online, but hope that as they're planning on getting kids back in school, a few trainee actuaries spread out in an exam room is manageable!

Just have to wait and see, it says in the FAQ section under the April FAQs that we should know by end of May. :) just enjoy the next few weeks and try not to worry about it.

Emily Wong likes this.
  5. Emily Wong

Emily Wong Member

Thanks Laura! Yes I didn't find out until yesterday that they were planning to issue a statement at the end of this month so that gives great comfort! Fingers crossed :)

laura_mils likes this.
  6. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

7. James789

James789 Member

8. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

how will forumlas and proofs be handled do you think - very maths based exams moving to words is hard?

9. patron

patron Member

10. wzlee12

wzlee12 Member

This part.

I do not have access to the necessary computer equipment or software to sit the online examinations. What can I do?

We have moved all our examinations online. You therefore require access to appropriate computer equipment and software if you wish to sit our examinations in future.

Need some two cents here, is online exam really better than centre-based exams other than convenience?

11. patron

patron Member

Ok, makes sense. I'm hoping that's just a poor choice of wording rather than a permanent move to online!

12. DM261

DM261 Active Member

How come you don't want a permanent switch?

13. patron

patron Member

From a purely selfish point of view, I have tended to do well in the written exams, and so would want the existing structure to stay the same! Online, open-book exams test different skills to written exams (less focus on memory of facts, typing quickly important, etc).

In general though, I'd argue it would erode the credibility of the exams, as I think cheating would increase significantly.

14. N_Exam

N_Exam Very Active Member

I would like to know more about this also- how can such a maths based exam now be online?

Does anyone have a link to an IFoA page explaining the changes? Has anyone contacted the IFoA to find out more?

Thank you to everyone who replies :)

15. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

16. DM261

DM261 Active Member

“Cheating” is surely a bit of a misnomer as the exams are explicitly open-book, therefore using your notes to help you isn’t cheating.

I personally like the move as it transforms the exams from being a test of memory, something I tend to struggle with. I think under this system, candidates who actually understand the material properly will prosper.

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

I agree. This begs the question how come the skills being tested to be conferred their actuarial qualification can change because of a pandemic? It suggests what was tested previously was not necessary.

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

A lot of actuaries in the past struggled with the vast amounts of list to be memorised and failed to qualify because of this. Shouldn't IFoA be fair on those people and review their grades...

19. DM261

DM261 Active Member

The pandemic is going to move a lot of the things we do into a more modernised format and cause many different organisations to consider whether the way something has historically been done remains optimal. If the IFOA determines that online exams are a better test of skills going forward than written ones, then so be it. This doesn't mean that past grades would be reviewed btw, they never are when the format is changed.

20. almost_there

almost_there Member

I think you missed my point. It hasn't just gone online with no other change. Since along with that transfer online comes a fundamental change of what is being tested and the materials available to candidates to do the exam. The right thing to do is to revise past grades. There is no good reason why should someone who failed this exam last year due to being unable to recall a list not have that reviewed?

21. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

I think to be fair to every student doing the exams whether now or in the past - they should have the exact same exam paper - that way no bother is negatively effected as we all will do the same exam