1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Is 2.0 Line Spacing Needed for CP3?

Discussion in 'CP3' started by wwatson, Apr 3, 2021.

1. wwatson

wwatson Keen member

Hi Acted Tutors, could you please advice if it is needed to leave double spacing for CP3, as per the latest exam guideline? Thanks!

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hello apologies but I am struggling to find this bit of guidance. I'm very happy to help but can you please confirm where in guidance it is suggesting the possible need for double spacing and I'll look into it. Thanks

3. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi @Helen Evans

The IFoA sent an email to all students booked onto 2021 April exams on 26 March with Subject "April Examinations 2021 - Important Updates". In the balance of the email, there is the following theme:

Spacing in your script

To make sure Markers can annotate your answer script with the value of the marks awarded within the relevant questions, please use a line spacing 2.0.

4. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hi Darshan
    Thank you very much for this info, in which case yes it does look like you do need to use this 2.0 line spacing.
    Many thanks
    Helen

wwatson likes this.
  5. Weirdly, i don't seem to have received this info. Did anybody else also not receive this?

6. Autodidactuary

Autodidactuary Keen member

The e-mail which linked to this information went straight to my junk folder for some reason, if that helps.

7. Niraj Shah

Niraj Shah Member

Is this for all exams or just CP3? I didnt get this email on the 26th March?

8. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

It looks like it's for all exams. It was sent on the 26/03/2021

9. Niraj Shah

Niraj Shah Member

Ahh i see, although I guess its fine even if you didn't use 2.0 line spacing

10. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

I can confirm that I am not booked in CP3, but yet received it. So, should be for all exams.

11. Trevor

Trevor Ton up Member

Hi @Helen Evans , sorry for brining up this 1 year old thread, but I have a similar question.
    This time, it is quoted in item 4, page 8 of the Examination Handbook (April 2022).

I tried setting 2.0 spacing for everything in my word document - the paragraphs look very odd. We would usually expect no spacing within a paragraph/section, and then a large spacing between sections.
    Will we be marked down for our document formatting in this case?

12. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Trevor

If the IFoA have asked you to use 2.0 line spacing, then I would use 2.0 line spacing. I very much doubt you'd get penalised for doing something else, but the last word on that (or any other exam regulations) would have to come from the IFoA, as they're the ones that administer the exams.

Ian

13. I agree with the other poster that documents looks very odd on 2.0 spacing. I don't think we are marked down for not using 2.0 spacing as I've submitted other exams with 1.0 spacing and I don't think I've been penalised, so on that basis I think 1.0 spacing should be fine.

Also I think it's only a recommendation so perhaps not quite as strict (below was from the examination handbook).

4. We also recommended that you allow a spacing of 2.0 between lines, so our markers can then
    easily mark what you have typed.