International Master in Applied Actuarial Science at Kent

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Valhalla, May 6, 2019.

1. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Hi all,

I am offered a place in the program from Kent but I am not sure about the job prospect in the UK after graduating from the program.

I have one year of experience from an Asian country. My work is mainly reporting reserve and local solvency.

Would I be marketable given that the program will exempt me from most of the exams? Thanks.

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Have you researched alternative ways to qualify as an actuary? It's easier to do so in Europe and then you can get IFoA Fellowship via mutual recognition. I don't think UK courses get people through all the IFoA exams, there's still more to do after it and this is undesirable. Europeans are not made to suffer like this.

Infinity likes this.
  3. patron

patron Member

Yes, it would definitely make you more marketable to UK employers. It is important to get the exemptions that are available through the course, as employers will expect these from someone who has graduated from that course.

4. Adithyan

Adithyan Very Active Member

Hi Valhalla!
    This course can give you exemptions from all subjects except, SA, CA2 and CT9. UK isn't in a position to employ foreigners and visa sponsorship has been made prohibitively costly for companies to employ expats. Most people actually go back to their own country to land in a job. This is the case with all courses in the UK. Getting back to the industry may or may not be challenging based on the quality of work experience one has had and the country one comes from (for eg: if you are from Mauritius or Trinidad or other smaller nations getting a job will be hard). People with no experience find it hard to bag a job with so many papers. No. of papers cleared adds to one's own professional qualification progression and not towards career growth in a company and companies only look at the no. of years of professional experience.

Companies look for resources that could be paid lower, these are people with lesser no. of papers. Hence you might have to compromise on the pay for at least 1.5 to 2 years after graduating. You may not be given that high a pay hike... After 2 years you could make a lot definitely!!

Uni of Kent was a nice place to study and had good professors to teach!!! If you really work hard exemptions would come as a reward.

Studying these subjects in uni doesn't make life all that easy compared to writing exams from IFoA. It is equally very challenging to get through these papers at Uni and gain exemptions!!

Its a gamble! if you are game for it, you could go for it...

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Valhalla likes this.
  5. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

The way the market in my country work is by gradually reconising the exemptions (typically 1 or 2 papers per year). I thought working abroad for one or two years could be a shortcut (since foreign work experience is much appreciated here) but I guess that could be harder even. Thanks all for your responses :)

6. Null

Null Member

I wouldn’t bother taking the actuarial exams. The IFOA lies about qualification times and fails to mention the extremely high drop out rates. Better to invest your time elsewhere