Ifoa Student Membership

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Mark9, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Mark9

Mark9 Member

Hello everyone
    I just wanted to find out after writing the CS1 exam in April 2020 as a non member and passing, can someone apply for student membership and make it in time to apply for an exam in September 2020. I know the student member application process takes about 5 weeks and just wanted to know if there is any chance a non member after passing the CS1 exam, can gain membership in time to write another exam in September of the same year? Thanks.

2. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

I thought you can submit the IFoA application after you sit your exam (in my case, CT1) and you put your result as "pending"? I'm assuming that you have one of the other qualifications as IFoA states here, but even if you don't then you only need to pay membership fees upon your acceptance as a student member? What is more critical is you need to submit your application by end April so that if you passed CS1 and became student member then it will still be within the application period for the September exams.

Mark9 and Darrell Chainey like this.
  3. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Mark,

I think it's worth checking with the IFoA. I don't think it's going to be possible given that:
    • This session, registration forms had to be in by 25 November 2019, and results weren't released until December, and,
    • Last summer, results came out very early in July and the exam booking window opened a week later and closed very early in August. However, I don't think they published a deadline for new member applications.
    But there's no harm in asking.
    Good luck

NB: I wrote this before seeing Calm's reply (thank you), and so it looks like there may be a way but you'll have to get your application in before hearing your result.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Mark9 and Calm like this.
  4. Mark9

Mark9 Member

Thanks a lot. Didn't know that you could send in your application with exam status 'pending'. Will try and send in my application earlier then.

5. Mark9

Mark9 Member

Thanks a lot. Will contact Ifoa to find out more.