1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

IFoA Mathematics

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Jul 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Hahaha here comes the cavalry :D:D
    I don't recall any promises being made ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2018
  2. Infinity

Infinity Member

But seriously your suggestion is to quit? Have you taken the exams how long did it take you to finish or where are you in the process?

Benoy Soman likes this.
  3. Infinity

Infinity Member

You can’t become president of the ifoa. For this privilidged position where you earn 400k you need to be part of the old boys club. Have you not read the Kingman review published today? The FRC appointments process is part of the reason they were closed down.

almost_there and Benoy Soman like this.
  4. student1990

student1990 Member

I think you might be mixing up the CEO and the President. :oops:

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

Sorry you’re right. But in any case same rules apply. You have to be a qualified actuary. Students have no vote and no say. You seem to have a good knowledge of the IFOA executive framework. I thought you didn’t want to read my posts?

6. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

My suggestion is to consider evaluating your circumstances and pursuit of these exams. If you want to continue, you definitely should. It's just that from all your posts, they seem to have brought you a lot of dread and misery, hence my suggestion. (I'm only suggesting, not encouraging).
    I've been taking the exams for some time now and have had my fair share of hardship, so I'm not commenting from a casual standpoint.
    Anyway you know what is best for you, so all the best!

7. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Unfortunately I haven't. I was too busy in the kitchen ;)

8. Infinity

Infinity Member

Promises about what?

9. Infinity

Infinity Member

What has this got to do with my OP and why has Acted not deleted any posts? Have they been closed down like the FRC? Has anyone got any constructive comments about the Kingman review? The IFoA is now a headless chicken. Oh wasn’t it that already?

10. Muppet

Muppet Member

You both lost the context. AT was subtly referring (again) to CEO promises. BS thought it was about him. Inf replied to a comment aimed at AT. Follow? :):)

Benoy Soman likes this.
  11. Infinity

Infinity Member

I would like to continue. I would like to take the 3 exams that I thought I would have to take to qualify. It is not my fault that I’ve been told that I have to do six exams now and also study for 250 hours plus another 250 hours if I fail, instead of 125. On top of that I’m expected to study the same rubbish all over again.

12. Infinity

Infinity Member

In any case why is Acted not doing something here. I’m going to have to set up a new post regarding the Kingman review

13. Muppet

Muppet Member

Lol :D I think you've made about half of the posts on the last two pages. Your OP wasn't about Kingman. People are already discussing Kingman in a thread in Off-topics. See you there!!

14. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Haha agree, I did there :D

15. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - St. Augustine.

Good luck!

Remember, Positive mindset = Positive result

Calm likes this.
  16. Infinity

Infinity Member

Ok I’m positive the ifoa will be exposed for what they really are and shut down like their own oversight body the FRC

almost_there likes this.
  17. almost_there

almost_there Member

FRC's shameful non-oversight failed to stop, or even tweak, the IFoA's new curriculum to ensure Mr Cribb's promise was kept that no one would be disadvantaged. FRC never published any complaints about IFoA nor do we see any mentioned in the IFoA/FRC minutes of meetings. Furthemore FOI requests to find out about IFoA complaints refused. Shameful stuff. None of that is in the public interest.

18. Terran85

Terran85 Active Member

19. Infinity

Infinity Member

Thanks for sending this. It does contain some useful information. Unfortunately, it only starts at 2007, so it cuts off people who have taken exams for more than a decade of which there are many. Also people with exemptions are excluded and there are a lot of people with a lot of exemptions. Due to these two facts, the numbers are quite on the positive side, i.e suggesting that people qualify a lot faster than is really the case.

The fact of the matter is that the IFoA should provide these statistics and not some third party.

It's clear to see that hardly anyone qualifies in the 3 years without any exam failure which is the only official quoted number on the IFoA webpage. The IFoA have updated this recently but only after the complaint was taken externally. I have complained to the IFoA about this same topic and as you may have seen from previous posts, I was complete fobbed off.

What are other peoples take on the stats on this website?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2018
    almost_there likes this.
  20. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

How is your decision to keep all your posts relating to this on the forum overload thread, infinity?

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Infinity is correct that the travel times are not reliable from this website. However the pass rates for individual exams are fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.