How to avoid plagiarism for the SP8 and SP7 exams

Discussion in 'SP8' started by Jun Wu, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Jun Wu

Jun Wu Active Member

Dear All

Hope you are well.

Please can I check my understanding of how to avoid plagiarism for the SP8 and SP7 exams:
    I am reading the student handbook here: pg 14- pg 16
    Examination Handbook April 2022.pdf (actuaries.org.uk)

My doubts are:

• I may be completely wrong, but the handbook seems to suggest we are not allow to use any study materials to answer the exam, because that is plagiarism without referencing?
    • But how can this be possible, if we don’t try to match the points being mentioned in the marking schedule we are getting 0 marks, so ultimately we have to learn the solution by heart.
    • My understanding is that to avoid plagiarism everything we write should be in our own words
    • We learn the materials (Core Reading, Acted etc), then we write out in own words
    • This includes adding own descriptions/ explanation /examples to what the core reading is trying to teach etc
    • If I am writing out exact same answer to what I have seen from any study materials, I will reference it to acknowledge where it comes from

Please confirm the above for me.
    Much appreciated!
    And Happy Easter Holiday

Jun

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  2. Aman Sehra

Aman Sehra Member

Hi Jun,

Thanks for your questions. The IFoA examinations handbook changes often, and since we are not the IFoA it would be unwise to advise beyond what's stated in the published documents.

I would say that any reasonable interpretation of the IFoA regulations ought to be ok. However, any specific questions will need to be directed to the IFoA. You will find contact details here:
    https://actuaries.org.uk/contact-us

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Thanks
    Aman
    ActEd Tutor

Jun Wu likes this.
  3. bledubd

bledubd Member

To avoid plagiarism, write everything in your own words even for stuff you are seeing in the notes (except the blindingly obvious e.g. equations). Referencing is pointless as you are not demonstrating that you know the subject so you might end up being marked down.
    if you have a photographic memory then make sure you rephrase what you remember into your own words.

Cheers