1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

How to address the points of syllabus objectives in Chapter 3

Discussion in 'CP1' started by Smith, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Smith

Smith Very Active Member

Dear tutors,

1. Syllabus objective 9.1.1, "describe the principles and aims of prudential and market conduct regulatory regimes"
    Only the latter part, i.e. the aims of regulation, has been presented in order in 1st section in chapter 3, I did not find related content for the former part, i.e. the principles of regulation. Could you kindly advise how does ActEd consider this point?

2. Syllabus objective 9.1.4 and 9.1.5, "explain how certain features of financial contracts might be identified as unfair", "discuss the implications of a requirement to treat the customers fairly"
    Only two parts in section 5.2 (Page 12), i.e. "unfair features of insurance contracts" and "treating the customers fairly", explicitly address the two syllabus objectives, and seem to be too thin to meet the requirement of the syllabus objectives. Could you kindly advise how does ActEd consider this point?

3. The content of Chapter 3
    Generally speaking, the content of Chapter 3 keeps unchanged, only adds the section 8, i.e. "role of major financial institutions", compared with the older one prior to 2019 syllabus. I would like to know how does the section 7, i.e. "regulatory regimes", meet the syllabus objectives? Understand the core reading and course notes are supposed to meet the syllabus objectives clearly in order.

thanks a lot!

Smith

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hello

Thanks for your post.

1. Syllabus objective 9.1.1 Where we feel it aids learning we do on occasions reorder the Core Reading, this is the case with Chapter 3. Syllabus objective 9.1.1 is covered across Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7. Most of the material does relate to the aims of regulation but we could view the material on the different form of regulation in Section 7 as relating to the principles of regulation.

2. Syllabus objective 9.1.4 and 9.1.5, "explain how certain features of financial contracts might be identified as unfair", "discuss the implications of a requirement to treat the customers fairly".
    I think the early Core Reading in section 5.2 could also be considered as helping span the syllabus objectives since it gives examples of implications of the need to treat customers fairly, ie one implication is that firms must fully disclose information.
    We've aimed to add further explanation in this section that is merited by the level of detail in the Core Reading.

I hope this helps.

Helen