1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

How many weeks did you spend on CT7?

Discussion in 'CT7' started by Phil, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Phil

Phil Member

Hi

I'm thinking of not bothering with CT4 at this sitting because of other priorities that have came up at work. I'm doing CT1 but feel I ought to be doing a 2nd exam still (even though it's not compulsory) so I'm thinking about which subjects will require the least amount of study time.

In a previous job one exceptional student passed CT7 in just 1 week's intense studying :eek:

So I was wondering are there many others out there that passed CT7 in such a short space of time?

How many weeks did it take you to get through the course notes?
    And was your study technique much different for this compared to other subjects?
    e.g. did you hardly write anything because it is so wordy and instead just read it thoroughly?

Thanks

2. bystander

bystander Member

Before you embark on a 2nd subject, thing about your motives. You say its not compulsory so I guess its peer rather than 'er pressure.

Now think about this. You can give yourself a really good shot of passing one. What if you go for 2 and end up with 2 FAs? Will be feel deflated/cheated?

Cramming generally isn't right for most people - though as you say there are some people that can!

Not convinced either length of course should be your guide. You still could find the material hard but find a longer course easier.

If there is a subject you already know something about, I'd let that guide you rather than go for the shortest on which you start from scratch.

Whatever choice you make, make it soon, stick to it & hope it works out for you. If you are really committed to it, then the chances should improve.

3. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Phil,

A few things you should know about CT7...

- It's a relatively long course and it tends to take a while for ideas to bed in and then come together at the end.

- If you have done any economics before, you may be able to work through the material considerably faster, as many concepts probably won't be new.

- The exam does have a relatively high pass rate, and parts of it do tend to be straightforward ...

- ... HOWEVER from teaching CT7, I've found that while many students say it's one of the easier CTs, some students seem to get stuck on it - they just don't seem to get on with the concepts.

- While I can see that it would be possible for someone to blitz CT7 in a week, I don't think it would be the norm.

I hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

4. Phil

Phil Member

Thanks for your replies Anna and bystander.

Re: think about your motives
    My motive is as a newbie in the job, I don't get study support until I've passed an exam. So I'm desperate to pass one in April.

For a moment I was thinking of giving myself "a really good shot of passing one" by only taking CT1 so having months and months now to practice almost all that's possible for CT1.

But then someone reminded me that it just takes one day of bad luck or loads of students scoring high marks, to fail an exam. So began to think pinning all my hopes on one exam is a bad move.

Please keep your replies coming in

Thanks

5. bystander

bystander Member

Now I understand more of your situation I'd say stick to your initial thought of one.

Yes there is no certainty on the day but by investing all your energy there, it should give you loads of time for thorough revision and doing all the past papers so you will have seen all the past 'horrors' and be more confident.

If you take 2 and get neither, then maybe your employer will think here's someone that overpromises and under-delivers.

Again it changes if you feel the CT you've embarked on is going really well and you are well down the line to finishing already.

Like anything, so many things to consider. But as Anna points out, don't be swayed by pass rates. Everyone has their own stumbling block and there's no telling where it is.

If you genuinely know your stuff and you get 'easy' paper, then if your technique is good you should make the pass list.

All the best - but make your decision soon

6. Ricegirl

Ricegirl Member

Hi Phil,

I'd agree with Bystander and say stick to CT1. If you spend all your time on that one, and pratice all the past papers, you should have a really good chance of passing it. I would only recommend taking out another course now if you are already well through CT1 and confident of passing it, which doesn't sound like the case here.

When I first started the exams I tried to do 2 CTs at a time as it was what everyone else was doing. Not having done a Maths degree, I struggled quite badly and didn't think I would ever qualify. However, once I made the decision just to do 1 exam at a time and concentrate fully on that, I have got on much better and have only failed on 2 occasions. Every person is different, so you have to find your own way through the exams and find out what the best approach is for you. Since you are just at the start of the exams now, and it is already mid-January, I would advise you to stick to 1 this time and see how it goes. Then if you find it okay, you could try 2 next time.

Good luck with it anyway and best of luck for the exam in April.:)