How is CT4 marked?

Discussion in 'CT4' started by NSMIL, Nov 19, 2005.

1. NSMIL

NSMIL Member

I m sitting CT4 in April (saw that it had the lowest past rate for ct's). Wondering if anyone knows how CT4 is marked?

Do you need to score a certain mark in CT4(103) and CT(104)... Does the institute provide this information....

What sort of mark on the paper do people reckon will get you a pass in CT4?

I suppose this information will not help me study but it provide clarification on what i need to achieve to pass.

2. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis ActEd Tutor Staff Member

CT4 exam

I asked one of the staff actuaries about this last session, and this is what he said...

You don't have to pass both halves separately. For example, if the overall pass mark was 50% (I'm not saying that it is!) and you scored 60% on one half and 40% on the other, then this is likely to get you a pass. However, if you scored 90% on one half and 10% on the other (fat chance), you would fail.

We don't know what the actual pass mark is though. Anyway, it varies from one sitting to the next.

3. pankaj

pankaj Member

ct4

what about last two questions in sept.2005 examination.There were not even a similar questions neither in q. bank nor in past papers.Please assist me.

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

I'm not sure what the question is? But you wouldn't expect to have previously seen similar questions to everything you meet in the exam. The examiners are bound to be trying to find new and innovative ways of testing the same material. But being able to work through unfamiliar problems is a skill that we all have to master. Takes lots of practise. Having said that perhaps Julie can point you in the drection of something fairly similar????

5. pankaj

pankaj Member

Ct4

Thanks for your reply.Perhaps you may be knowing that how CT4(103) came into being(it was 103 in the earlier strategy.)
    My concern is that taking into consideration the study material and question answer bank and ofcourse taking into consideration the time allotted(1.5hrs)there appears to be a mismatch.
    I am referring to the last question and third last question of Ct4(103 part) sept.2005.
    I do not have any data about the candidates who have passed in ct4(103 part) as Institute declares the result for the entire paper which is CT4.But I assume that the pass rate must be the lowest.I feel that the assignments may have more questions.
    There is nobody to blame because I tried my best.Neither to examiners as they are experienced persons.What I mean to say that keeping into consideration the type of questions asked in both september and april 2005 diet of CT4(103) the assignments and q.bank may be more enriched with the questions.
    Needless to add that I have completed CT series except this part and I have passed majority of papers from Institute only,letest being CT2 in last diet.
    I do not know about the experience of my u.k.friends in this paper but you can also refer to an article published in THE ACTUAY(some three or four months bank) about the questions asked in the april diet of CT4(103 part).

Apart from others I request any tutor of CT4(103) or any examiner to assist me if possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2005
  6. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Question A5 in the Sept 2005 paper is based on the following fundamental results:

1. holding times in a Markov jump process are exponentially distributed

2. if claims occur according to a Poisson process, then the numbers of events in non-overlapping time intervals are independent.

You also had to remember how to calculate a conditional probability, but this is a basic concept from Subject CT3 (101), so it's fair game. It was really just a case of applying these results to the question.

See Assignment question X2.3, Q&A bank Q2.11, Q2.13.

Question A7 uses the fact that the probability of staying in a given state for a period of time can be written as the exponential of minus the integral over that period of the total force of transition out of the state. It also examines integral equations, and requires you to do a bit of calculus. Again, this is all standard stuff, which is covered in the notes and the tutorials.

See Q&A bank Q2.6, Q2.7, Q2.15

You really need to understand the key results of the course and be able to apply them to situations you've never seen before. This is what the examiners are looking for. Rote learning isn't enough.

7. pankaj

pankaj Member

Ct4

Can you suggest any more material apart from past papers ,assignments and question answer bank.Please note that being based in India it is very difficult for me to attend the tutorials.I wish to practise more and more question for april 2006 diet.

REGARDS

8. Muppet

Muppet Member

Are you sitting the UK exams (in Sept) or did you take the Indian exams (in November). Interested to know what influences your choice or exam.

9. pankaj

pankaj Member

Ct4

I sat the exams in sept.2005(U.K.) and nov.(India).I intend totake on the same paper in april2006 diet if I don't pass the samefrom India(nov.2005) diet.Perhaps you may not be knowing that in india there is no definite schedule of declaration of results.