General Insurance books to read & other ways to develop knowledge

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Suzuki, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Suzuki

Suzuki Member

Hello All,

I have been working in the GI reserving for about 2 years now. While I have bookish knowledge from SP7/SP8 and working knowledge on reserving, I was looking for more resources to update myself. For example, when you're speaking to underwriters, looking at claims handling systems, you get more insight into how a claim actually works, about the brokers etc.

How do you guys cope when you're expected to know more than you're exposed to? I do ask questions when necessary, but do you follow any other methods/resources? Some of the insurance books I have read give more practical insight in my view, I find our books very actuarial (as they are intended to be!!). I would like to read the CII books for example as I think they would perhaps give more insight into general principles of GI, underwriting & other background knowledge necessary to work in a GI company. However, they are expensive to buy!

What are your thoughts? Please pour in your suggestions and let me know if any of the above isn't clear.

Regards,

Suzuki