Excessive Delays in IFoA responses and the Financial Consequences

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Sneaky_Newt, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Sneaky_Newt

Sneaky_Newt Member

In mid to late November, my 3 year PPD date passed, and having completed all the exams and my necessary PPD, I went to submit my application for PPD sign-off/Fellowship. However I was met with issues using the IFoA website, which stated that I had already submitted my PPD for approval, which had been there since I submitted my associate application earlier this year, despite there being no reason I should be unable to submit a fellowship application. I contacted the IFoA through email and phone that day, with the phone call simply telling me to take a screenshot of my issue and place it in an email, and that someone will get to it. This process continued for 3 weeks, with the rest of my phone calls going unanswered. After 3 weeks when the phone was finally answered again, I stated how long I had been waiting for the issue to be fixed, and somebody had a look that day and immediately solved the issue. It wasn't clear to me why this wasn't possible when I had first rang.

I was then able to submit my application, but now 7 weeks have passed since that date with no approval. I've contacted the IFoA but only had repeated emails stating that my application 'has been passed to our colleagues in the Quality team for review'. In total it's now been over 10 weeks since I initially attempted my application. As this is simply submitting the last 10 PPD credits and 2 formal learning hours I need, I'm unsure what causes this to take so long.

Being the final qualification, the sign-off for my fellowship from the IFoA carries a large raise at my company, and as each paycheck passes the financial implications of this for me become quite large. Greater still, the missing amount from any bonus calculations carried out around this time of the year by my company could be considerable.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do in this situation? Contacting the IFoA has been fruitless throughout the whole process. I'm considering putting in a formal complaint, and am wondering if anyone has similar experience around doing this?

pjlee01 likes this.
  2. Kamina

Kamina Member

I received my qualification pay rise when I had completed the exams, with my final sign off taking a few months to come through after. Whilst you're only submitting your last 10 credits, the review process checks all of your PPD over again in greater detail.

Given some of those weeks fall over the Christmas period, I can see why it might be taking a while, and it must be very frustrating!

I think the best thing you can do in these circumstances is speak to your employer to see if they can give you the pay rise ahead of final sign off.