1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Exam marking problems

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by ActuaryStudent9123116, Sep 29, 2016.

1. entact

entact Member

Hi S&GMummy, I wouldn't recommend appealing. If you look at the success rates of appeals it's so small that the chances of you getting your mark upgraded make it not worth the money or time. I appealed a grade before and it was unsuccessful. My company paid for it but I spent weeks getting my hopes up and I found the whole process quite distracting and ultimately unrewarding. I also believe that a clear mistake would need to have been made for them to admit they incorrectly marked a paper. The process of awarding marks can be quite subjective in the later exams so I imagine the marker reviewing your paper will be on the IFoAs side and will not be looking for marks that will result in your mark being up-graded (even if half marks were missed). I would be more encouraging if the review was carried out by an independent body but that is not the case here. I will say that you are clearly there or there about's so you should get the exam next time with some additional work and perseverance. Best of luck!

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Very few people got a formal appeal upheld under the previous rules, that is true. Nothing wrong with making complaints however, since they are a service provider.

3. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

I wouldn't appeal for the same reasons as entact. The chances of them changing the grade in your favour are almost zero, you will be £200 worse off, chances are you probably won't want to revise as hard u til you know the outcome of the appeal which means more wasting time. The only thing you can do is enrol for the next exam and try your hardest. If it's easy to do the SAR then do it and use the information coming out of that such as the marks you got per question and any notes by the examiner to see where you went wrong and improve upon.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Is a successful appeal known to anyone and why?

I bet many are put off making an appeal due to this £200 cost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2017
  5. S&GMummy

S&GMummy Member

Thanks for all your advices.

I personally did appeal before for CA2, that was few years ago, it was my second sitting, I got a FD for it. For my first sitting, I got a FB and wasn't able to finish the whole question, for my second sitting, I felt I was much more prepared, calm, etc. When I get the results, I felt that I have wasted 8 hrs, I could have sat there, wrote my name down, burned a CD and get a FD.

The institute reply saying the examiner marked me too harsh and I should have got a FB instead. They charged me and didn't change my grade on the system. I wrote a complaint saying if I got a FB instead of FD, I wouldn't even go through the appeal process and therefore even it was still a fail, I would consider that my appeal was successful. They never reply my email, but gave me my appeal fee back.

Apart from myself, I have never met another person who appealed before. So glad to know that @entact did try it too.

I am still considering whether to appeal or not, maybe I should submit a SAR, at least it is free comparing to an exam counselling report.

6. In the present environment, all students who fail should be doing a SAR. The information you are entitled to receive is not only helpful for revision, possibly replicating many of the benefits of exam counselling for no charge, but allows you to know whether you are in the ever growing list of students who have not had their paper marked by the IFoA in line with their own marking procedure in force at the time you entered for the exam.

Regarding the adjustments applied to your marks, have you asked the ICO whether the IFoA were able to exclude how the adjustment was calculated in your Subject Access Request? The IFoA do not have a good track record in adhering to the Data Protection Act, so I would ask the ICO for their opinion. My suspicion is that the IFoA have to provide such data under the Data Protection Act.
    I have to echo your experience here, the SCF do not advocate for and do not appropriately represent the student body. Every year I see their role on the website being watered down further and further, until now they are just described as a conduit for communicating to the IFoA.

I understand our rep ran student feedback for the last meeting by the IFoA for approval. The IFoA advised the rep to put the feedback aside, and the rep agreed and then refused to raise the student's feedback at the meeting last November. The IFoA are therefore filtering the questions that are raised at their own feedback meeting, and no-one on the SCF has a problem with this!

The SCF is not fit for purpose and needs to be reformed. Any students should therefore be raising their complaints directly to the IFoA until this changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
  7. Hear hear! Any reasonable person would reach the same conclusion. Third marking means marking it a third time in the same way the first two markers did!

I also have to laugh at the IFoA insisting that learning about contract law forms part of CT9, where we are taught that a party can't amend the terms of a contract without the agreement of both parties once it is entered into. They then think we will believe them when they say they can retrospectively change the marking policy that formed part of our contract!

They have made a rod for their own back!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
    mossie and Lapsed_Student like this.
  8. Raise a Subject Access Request immediately. If it reveals grounds for appeal, then you can appeal within a reasonable period of time once the facts were known to you.

9. S&GMummy: You can't raise an appeal until you have your SAR back, so I would suggest that you consider doing the SAR first. If the SAR reveals a marking process failure, then (and only then) do you have the facts available to you to raise an appeal. You should then have a reasonable period following the publication of your SAR to raise an appeal.

Others including myself have gone down the route of raising a formal complaint instead on the grounds of a breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (which is free and should lead to the same outcome as an appeal). A link to Martin Lewis' helpful summary on the Act for consumers is given earlier in this thread.

10. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange#services

"Of course, things still go wrong and when they do, you've powerful protection from Part 1 Chapter 4 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Quite simply, it demands that any service should be carried out with...

Reasonable care and skill,
    Within a reasonable time,
    At a reasonable price."

Failing to follow their own marking process published at the time you entered for the exam is a failure by the IFoA to act with reasonable care and skill in marking your exam paper. Therefore the IFoA must repeat the marking service, but this time do it properly (I.e. have it marked by a third person, not just reviewed) within a reasonable period of time at no charge to you.

11. One final matter, I am very pleased to note that this thread (despite only being a few months old) has been viewed over 4,000 times!

The message is getting out on how best to fight your corner against the IFoA, but please share this thread with your student colleagues as well to spread the word.

12. almost_there

almost_there Member

That sounds totally rigged! Then again it's just another way to fob us off. Yes I agree bypass the SCF and deal with IFoA as a service provider.

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

:D:cool:

14. S&GMummy

S&GMummy Member

I raised a SAR with the IFoA, its a waiting game now.

15. Just to reiterate a point made earlier, also consider raising a formal complaint (which is free) if your SAR does reveal a marking process failure (e.g. no third mark on borderline or where significant discrepancy between marker 1&2). As far as I can see, both processes achieve the same thing, except with the formal complaint you are making a complaint to the IFoA as a service provider (which it clearly is by setting and marking exams), which gives you specific legal rights as laid out earlier.

almost_there and Lapsed_Student like this.
  16. Has anyone else heard back on their Subject Access Request and is now unsure about what their options are to progress this?

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

Has anyone referred this to the Financial Reporting Council and heard back? Each time I've passed things like this to their attention, including this matter, they've said "Not in our remit" essentially. They're meant to provide oversight of the IFoA but are as useful as a chocolate teapot. Nothing is ever in their remit. This means the IFoA are essentially unregulated on these matters, are left alone. This leaves no option for people other than to pursue these matters treating the IFoA as a service provider and exercising your consumer rights.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
  18. Sarah Keogh

Sarah Keogh Member

Having failed ST2 by one mark in October 2016 I submitted a SAR.
    The pass mark was 59 and the 2 markers gave me 119 (59.5%) and 118 (59%). I was therefore quite surprised to see that the 'adopted mark' awarded to me was 116.6 - lower than both markers.
    I was also pretty surprised that my paper hadn't been marked by a third examiner.
    Still waiting on a response to how they have given me a mark lower than both markers gave and why it wasn't marked a third time as I'd say I was on the borderline of passing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

Sarah, that's a disgrace!!! :mad:
    They can't get away with this anymore!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  20. Hi Sarah

I'm sorry to hear about this, but well done for submitting a SAR and getting the evidence that shows the IFoA didn't mark your paper in line with their own marking policy.

I suspect you will need to raise a formal complaint on this matter in line with the path followed by others in this thread, and when you get fobbed off, be ready to promptly escalate your compaint to the next stage until you get a response from the top brass at the IFoA!

Very best of luck with your case.

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Imagine if just one student managed to get say a small claims court to judge in favour of an exam fee refund due to failure to third mark. Others could then act similarly on this precedent, going back many years. That would be a serious hit in the pockets for the IFoA.

How far back has anyone done an SAR? It looks like you get more information from them nowadays compared to a few years ago. I'd be interested in making a retrospective SAR perhaps.