entry level in australia

Discussion in 'Other countries' started by Rahul-Ahuja, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Rahul-Ahuja

Rahul-Ahuja Member

How is the job market for entry level students in austrailia?

I am graduate in BSc(hons) Mathematics and Economics. Along with that I have cleared 3 numerical UK ct exams. I am planing to sit 2 numerical ct exams in this sitting.
    For july intake i may go to austrialia for masters of applied statistics. After post-grad I will get 2 years work permit.

So what do you think of my plan? I cant get an entry level job here in Pakistan.
    In fact i cant get any job.

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Well, oz is no student nirvana with jobs hanging off every tree if that's what you're after.

I don't think your plan is very uncommon - maybe someone who lives in Sydney or Melb can comment on the success rate for this sort of thing?

3. OzActuary

OzActuary Member

Hi there

I am working in Sydney for the last 2 years. Most people over here have Part 1 (all CTs) and part 2 (equivalent to CA1 I think) done by the time they start work so all they have left to do is Part 3 (4 exams). I found this difficult as I was the opposite - I didn't do Actuary as a degree so had no exemptions which makes getting through the exams a very long process! But I had passed 5 CTs and gotten 3 years work experience before I got here so I think the work experience stood to me. I had also gotten a 6 month contract in the company in an Ops role which also helped when I applied for the permanent Actuarial role.

There is no shortage of jobs here but I would recommend either having at least all CTs done if you don't have work experience.

4. Rahul-Ahuja

Rahul-Ahuja Member

Hey OzActuary, how is the job market of statisticians then? i was suggested to diverse, actuarial science is very specialized field.
    What universities and their programs can get me exemption from part2 ?

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

http://www.actuaries.asn.au/EducationandProfessional/Education/PartII.aspx

Exemptions

The Institute grants exemptions from Part II on the basis of university grades, which are consistent with Institute standards. Once the student has given authorisation to the relevant university, the university advises the Institute of the students’ eligibility for Part II exemption. If students are Institute members, they are then advised that they are eligible for exemption from Part II.

For the purpose of university grades, each semester will be assessed separately. For the purpose of exemption from Part II, results in the two semesters will be combined.

Exemption eligibility is:
    ■an overall grade of Distinction with a minimum grade of Credit in each unit at the Australian National University
    ■an overall grade of Credit (B grade) at Macquarie University
    ■based on performance in end of semester examinations, and satisfactory completion of assignments at University of Melbourne
    ■an overall grade of Distinction (75%) at the University of NSW
    ■an overall grade of 70% at Curtin University

6. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Member

Hi

I have been working for a small consultancy for the past three years and my assignments have been quite diverse. They comprise largely of employee benefit/pension valuations, but I have also been involved in some life insurance pricing assignments and some regulator mandated general insurance assignments.

I have primarily been using excel for my work and also intermittently use VBA. I have cleared the CT series from the UK Institute and have cleared one ST.

I was keen to work in Australia. Could you please let me know the ways in which I can increase my chances to work there?

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
  7. Iori_

Iori_ Member

Hi, have a look at the General Skilled Migration (GSM) option offered by the Australian government, now also known as SkillSelect. Good luck!

8. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Member

Thank you Iori! I am aware of that website. I want to know if applying for a PR would increase my chances of landing up a job. If not, then what domain should I work in India, so that my skills would be transferable. I do not want to incur the expenditure of applying for a PR if it is not going to be of much help.

Regards,

9. Iori_

Iori_ Member

By "PR", I am assuming you are referring to Permanent Residence.

If so, then yes. I have read somewhere that there are only three elements to an interview / landing a job:

1. Is the person capable of doing the job?

2. Can I / we get along and work together?

3. Will the person stay and do the job and not go off somewhere else?

PR will help on the third point above. It shows your willingness to do a permanent move and also provide some security regarding whether you won't fly off back to your own country after a couple of months.

In terms of skill transferability, that is to deal with the first point above. It will depend on the field (life, general, pensions, investments, risk mgmt, etc..), the experience you have, and the particulars of the background required for a role. You just have to find a compatible role. Good luck.

10. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Member

Thank you Iori_! Any other responses are welcome.

Regards,