CT9 Prerequisites

Discussion in 'CT9' started by formerengineer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Folks,

Quick question. Am self-studying for the actuarial exams, have deferred the work experience component, since working for non-actuarial, (a statistical) organisation.

Two questions:

1. Must my work be with an Actuarial Firm in order to do CT9?
    2. Can I use my mathematical and statistical work with my current employers to cover any part of the 3 year work experience requirement.

Thanks.

2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

CT9 pre-requisites

On the CT9 question:
    your current particular area of work shouldn't affect you're ability to attend/take the CT9 course - there is no specific previous knowledge/experience required. There is a recommendation that you've been working for 12-18 months I think, but it really won't matter if this is in an actuarial role or not - the areas covered are not technical, or particularly specific to any sector. There is a bit reading you're meant to do in advance, then you just turn up to the course, and afterwards take a multiple choice on-line test (at home, untimed, open book), which is pretty straightforward if you weren't asleep during the course, and you can take as many times as you like (at one month intervals, without additional cost) if you fail anyway.

On the work experience question:
    I'd have thought so - I think only the institute/faculty could give you a definitive answer on that one though, depending on the details of the work you do as to whether it is actuarial enough for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  3. Thanks

Matt78,

Thanks for that. I'll have a chat with the institute.

Cheers.