CT7 is changing...

Discussion in 'CT7' started by Anna Walklate, May 16, 2009.

1. Anna Walklate

Anna Walklate ActEd Tutor Staff Member

September 2009 will be the last time you can sit the Economics exam in its current format. In April 2010, it will become "Business Economics".

There is substantial overlap between the existing and the new syllabus, however there are also some key differences. In particular:

- the new course cuts out some economic theory, eg indifference curve analysis, IS-LM model
    - the new course includes more business topics, eg marketing, advertising, industrial policy.

While the new topics are easier to understand, there will be a lot more to learn.

The Core Reading is in the form of a textbook. ActEd is producing notes that guide you through the textbook and Q&A Bank and summarise the main points. The exam will be the same structure but the content will be quite different so the past papers will be of limited use.

2. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Thank you!! Must do CT7 this time round, because I already have the Acted Core notes.

Do you know if anything else is changing (among CT1 - CT8)?

3. Anna Walklate

Subject CT7 is the only CT undergoing a major rehaul.

I believe that there will be some changes to a couple of the others, but nothing significant enough to worry too much about.

4. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Thanks very much Anna :)

5. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

So whats this new book then?

I too may be forced into taking ct7 this time round , and I don't really want to.
    Can we get this new book now ? and when can we expect to see some sample papers for the new course ?

6. Anna Walklate

You can order the book now if you want to. It's:

Economics for business
    Sloman, J. and Hinde, K.
    4th edition

Some things you might want to know before you order it though...

- ActEd are in the process of arranging to buy the textbooks in bulk and so there may be a discount in buying from us.

- While much of the textbook from the new Subject CT7 Core Reading, it's not the whole textbook; in addition, there is a small amount of separate Core Reading that will not be contained in the textbook. ActEd are producing a separate workbook (to accompany the textbook) that will summarise the relevant material and guide students through the new course. This should be available along with all other 2010 materials in September.

Specimen papers should be available from the Profession relatively soon - we'll contact them to track progress. You can contact them directly if you would rather :)

7. actuaryre

actuaryre Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  8. Anna Walklate

26 MC questions is standard for Subject CT7 - this is what it's had for years.

While we don't know the pass marks, I'd have thought it would be slightly higher for Subject CT7 than for some of the other CTs.