1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CP3 Practice Questions

Discussion in 'CP3' started by Sailajah G, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Sailajah G

Sailajah G Keen member

Hello!!
    I'm going to sit for CP3 this April. I'm thinking of doing the Assignments + Past papers (Sept 2017 and onwards) as practice for the exams. Probably the mock exam too.
    Just wondering, for those who have sat CP3 (and hopefully passed it), will it be enough? Or should I do more like looking at past CA3 exams?
    Thanks so much.

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

CP3 maybe like a lottery and there is no right or wrong answer to your questions. Best advise is do as many papers as possible and make sure someone independently assesses your answers. It is hard to provide yourself feedback on how well you communicate the "actuarial to non-actuarial" and mark yourself in line with the marking schedule. Btw. the marking schedule has changed a couple of days before the exam for the September sitting, so you may not be able to mark yourself accurately.

3. Sailajah G

Sailajah G Keen member

Thanks.

4. Has anyone considered doing a practice paper and showing to colleagues with the examiners report for feedback? Just a thought...

5. WeHaveSalah

WeHaveSalah Member

I tried this with Sep 18 recently, but they all think the examiners solution is completely useless and would not be suitable for a non-mathsy/financey... so it's not been helpful.

6. That's good to know. Plus some of my team passed the old CA3 exam so they aren't much help!

7. patron

patron Member

The old CA3 papers are still useful practice, just ignore the presentation element obviously.

Whilst this maybe has a perception of being a lottery more than some other exams (a view particularly held by people that fail it), it's still the case that the more you prepare and practise, the better you get. My advice would be to start preparing reasonably early, and take it as seriously as you would any other paper. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2018
    Sailajah G likes this.
  8. Good to know, I've booked out a few weekends to review previous papers (if I remember to book onto the exam)...thanks for the advice.