1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

cp3 increased study hours

Discussion in 'CP3' started by dimitris13, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

Hi there,

i noticed that the recommended hours have increased from 50 to 100. why is that ?

thanks

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

We have checked with the Profession and the 100 hours quoted is an error on the website that they will correct. The recommendation for CP3 is 60 hours.

3. Infinity

Infinity Member

Is it also a mistake that I will have to take CT6 all over again if I don’t pass CT4 this sitting? Or same with CT1 and CT5? Is it a mistake that Mr Cribb and many IFoA staff have promised that there will be no increase in examinations and there is actually an increase? Did the 439 students have CT9 temporarily suspended by mistake? Was it a mistake that the IFoA said that the new CT exams could be sat and passed separately but I turns out that they can’t? The IFoA makes mistakes on a daily basis

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

we all do!!! I reckon you've made a few mistakes in your CT4 and CT5 answers over the years ;)

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

You’re missing the point. It’s not a mistake it is just downright lying

6. Muppet

Muppet Member

lying that they published two years ago that you would have four sittings to pass any half of 1&5 or 4&6 combos to avoid the situation you might find yourself in.
    And for most of your other gripes, changing their minds doesn't mean lying. An organisation like the IFoA is made of of numerous committees, with changing membership. If committee views change over time then I can understand any frustrations and inconvenience, but I don't think it's anything sinister.

7. Infinity

Infinity Member

Firstly it wasn’t four sittings notice. The initial publication was so misleading as it clearly said no one would be disadvantaged. The IFoA had to issue a new curriculum 2019 document which gave people only 3 sittings notice and they did so without even telling anyone. After that they have changed the exam date on me at the last minute on two occasions. I have also explained to the IFoA that due to health issues I couldn’t sit exams for a couple of sittings. Even for this last sitting, I have already agreed an extended holiday at work and the IFoA have changed the exam dates again meaning that my team members are also disadvantaged since they have also made plans on the back of the poor IFoA exam date schedule. They have also lied by publishing an exam timetable which clearly indicated that the exams would be a available until 2020. They have just deleted this without telling anybody upon my complaint that the document was contradictory compared to the guidance they have published on c2019. They have then tried to claim that I am in the minority when Infact 7,000 students out of 15,000 have one of CT1,4,5 or 6 to go. They refuse to make it clear that CT8 and CT3 will double in quantity of study hours and examinations which affects another 3,000 students. They are going against the recommendations of the last government enquiry (Morris review) which clearly stated they should reduce exams rather than increase them. The IFoA is pursuing a money making global domination strategy which has been questioned by the council who have criticized the absence of clear communication on this strategy. The stakeholder consultation on curriculum 2019 clearly said that no one would be disadvantaged and then once the details were published it is clear that many people will be disadvantaged. They have not changed their mind. They have lied. The ceo has lied in black and white in the annual report about current students not being disadvantaged and no one seems to want to investigate this false and misleading statement. The oversight body of the IFoA is currently being scrutinized in a government enquiry into wrong doing and the IFoA have only told members about the review after the deadline to submit evidence of the IFoA wrong doing has passed. Why doesn’t the IFoA publish complaint statistics? Do you know how much of your membership money is being wasted on legal fees? So there is something very sinister indeed. Please google Kingman review and see what the IFoA oversight body has been up to. Given the secretive nature of the IFoA I doubt they are any better

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
  8. Infinity

Infinity Member

Dear Helen,

Will the IFoA issue a notice to advise others of this mistake? This is not the first erratum required for the curriculum 2019 documentation. How are student supposed to keep up to date with the constant barrage of errors and omissions?

Regards

9. Muppet

Muppet Member

Still hasn't changed my mind about a lack of "lying". But unless this ever goes to court, I guess we'll never know. And I doubt a court would want to waste its time on this. I think everyone would have sympathy if individual circumstances made things more difficult but the IFoA probably has to draw the line somewhere and unless they left the old exams open forever, there would always be some people affected by any transition.

10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

We think this thread has run its course - repeating points made many times elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.